• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about demolishing a house and rebuilding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    I thought you were the resident board property expert, DimBeeny.
    Morks!

Man N o r ks

Comment

For example, buying something like this at a knockdown price, applying for planning to demolish and rebuild and put something contemporary and chock full of eco-features in it's place.

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...id/CWEG1728102

Is it worth taking the risk, buying and hoping I'd get the green light to demolish and replace or are there too many chances of refusal?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        For example, buying something like this at a knockdown price, applying for planning to demolish and rebuild and put something contemporary and chock full of eco-features in it's place.

Is it worth taking the risk, buying and hoping I'd get the green light to demolish and replace or are there too many chances of refusal?
        Will you be trying to get on Grand Designs...?!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can get planning permission for land you don't own. Also you can contact your local planning department and talk to a planning officer about you plans. They are usually happy to give you an idea of what is acceptable and not.

You could then get Outline planning permission, which just says "A four bed house to replace the existing 3 bed" etc. Then if that is ok, proceed to a more detailed application.

If you put a planning application in, and it looks like it is going to be rejected, you can withdraw it before it is rejected. This saves the plot getting a "Red flag" against it, and saves you paying for another planning request.

HomeBuilding&Renovation magazine is really good, and has loads of useful information about planning.
          Originally posted by cailin maith
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

If it's in Swindon, you get extra points for all adjacent properties demolished...

Even if they're 5 miles away...

Collateral Damage
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

I keep hearing adverts for www.planningportal.gov.uk don't know if that's any use to you - it certainly isn't to me.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                I keep hearing adverts for www.planningportal.gov.uk don't know if that's any use to you - it certainly isn't to me.
                Thanks, that looks useful. And I didn't know you can apply online or that your don't have to own the land you wish to apply on.

Comment

Where's the unacceptable risk? All I can think is that planning permission refusal will dramatically decrease the value of the plot. Something that concerns me too as I want to do a self build soon.

Bloody hard to find a half decent plot though!

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                    Where's the unacceptable risk? All I can think is that planning permission refusal will dramatically decrease the value of the plot. Something that concerns me too as I want to do a self build soon.

Bloody hard to find a half decent plot though!
                    I'm not looking to buy a plot of land and seek permission to build, I'm looking to buy a house with land and seek permission to demolish the existing house and replace it with a modern, contemporary house.

I guess I'm making the assumption that it is easier to get permission to replace an existing house than it is to get permission to build on land where no house exists at the moment (e.g a plot with a barn on it or such like).

Comment

There has been a fashion for your idea in the stock broker belt of south manchester. Either buying large houses with grounds and building flats OR knocking down 1930s style large detached houses and replacing them with footballer style tat. I believe Ole Gunnar Solskear is currently trying to do the latest football style tat i.e. an eco house. The local authorities are not best pleased.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X