• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of London as a financial centre?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    When Scotland has its own revenue through its own taxes and can only have expenditure related to that and thus gets nothing from England I will be a happy man. At the moment they are getting subsidies from us and this is not only grossly unfair but also greatly unappreciated by them.

Bring on independence !!
    BBC - Brian Taylor's blog

John Swinney [Scottish Government Cabinet Secretary for Finance] has published a Scottish Government review of the options for change:
    there is a notable warmth shown to the concept of "devolution max" - whereby Scotland would raise and control most taxation, while sending a subvention to London for shared services like defence.
    This what you mean?

I'm OK with it so far, though I note that it does still condemn the Scottish taxpayer to pay his share of funding farces like the London government's Iraq adventures, regardless of whether the Scottish voter might think that part of the defence of Scotland or not.

Comment

Working...
    X