• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The end of London as a financial centre?"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    When Scotland has its own revenue through its own taxes and can only have expenditure related to that and thus gets nothing from England I will be a happy man. At the moment they are getting subsidies from us and this is not only grossly unfair but also greatly unappreciated by them.

Bring on independence !!
    BBC - Brian Taylor's blog

John Swinney [Scottish Government Cabinet Secretary for Finance] has published a Scottish Government review of the options for change:
    there is a notable warmth shown to the concept of "devolution max" - whereby Scotland would raise and control most taxation, while sending a subvention to London for shared services like defence.
    This what you mean?

I'm OK with it so far, though I note that it does still condemn the Scottish taxpayer to pay his share of funding farces like the London government's Iraq adventures, regardless of whether the Scottish voter might think that part of the defence of Scotland or not.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    At least it's a nice place to live, even without City jobs.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...x183_popup.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    And you think I didn't provoke him?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Don't expect an on topic reply
    Thanks for the heads-up

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    When Scotland has its own revenue through its own taxes and can only have expenditure related to that and thus gets nothing from England I will be a happy man. At the moment they are getting subsidies from us and this is not only grossly unfair but also greatly unappreciated by them.

Bring on independence !!
    The French get their own revenue from their own taxes but they still manage to get subsidies from us

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    OK, I know you're just trolling, but I'll rise to it. The Barnett formula does not "give Scotland 20% per head more in public funding than the English per head", what it does is adjust some public spending so that increases in that spending in England are followed by similar increases in Scotland (inter alia).

It is a kludge, just a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and nobody really likes it. But its purpose is not to give Scotland more, rather to follow changes in England with changes in Scotland.

And I am in favour of Scottish MPs not voting on English issues; or in England at all.

Bring on independence !!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Don't expect an on topic reply

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    It's about time that the Barnett formula which gives Scotland 20% per head more in public funding than the English per head, is scrapped. Cameron has already said that they will stop Scottish MPs voting on english issues, so this will be the next logical step.
    OK, I know you're just trolling, but I'll rise to it. The Barnett formula does not "give Scotland 20% per head more in public funding than the English per head", what it does is adjust some public spending so that increases in that spending in England are followed by similar increases in Scotland (inter alia).

It is a kludge, just a back-of-the-envelope calculation, and nobody really likes it. But its purpose is not to give Scotland more, rather to follow changes in England with changes in Scotland.

And I am in favour of Scottish MPs not voting on English issues; or in England at all.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    People live in London because that's where the big bucks are. If that goes, many people (and hence the businesses that support them) will go too.

It would be an utter catastrophe if the City of London lost it's cachet as a financial centre.
    if?

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Yes ok but apart from free university and free prescriptions, what have the londoners ever really done for us?

It's about time that the Barnett formula which gives Scotland 20% per head more in public funding than the English per head, is scrapped. Cameron has already said that they will stop Scottish MPs voting on english issues, so this will be the next logical step.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Everybody who lives in London genarates GDP every time they eat. Etc. Much of this would not necessarily follow the City financial institutions down the tubes.
    People live in London because that's where the big bucks are. If that goes, many people (and hence the businesses that support them) will go too.

It would be an utter catastrophe if the City of London lost it's cachet as a financial centre.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    So, half of that 500bn is needed to sure-up the Royal Bank of Scotland, the other half is Lloyds because it rescued HBOS - or Halifax Bank of Scotland as it is known.

I rest my case.
    Oi Gonzo, the term I believe is to "shore up".

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Depends on the trader. If it is AtW then yes it is.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are you two not in love anymore?
    The way I understood the relationship, it was purely a sex thing.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yes, London that generates wealth, like another 500bn of liabilities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7906922.stm

So, half of that 500bn is needed to sure-up the Royal Bank of Scotland, the other half is Lloyds because it rescued HBOS - or Halifax Bank of Scotland as it is known.

I rest my case.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    From memory, the City of London generates about 4% of the UK GDP, and London as a whole generates 20%. That will be one big hole to fill unless the Brits are prepared to live with a permanent decrease in their standard of living.
    As you know, "generating GDP" is not the same as generating wealth or income. For a start, the government's huge orientation towards London generates huge GDP in London. Oil from the North Sea generates GDP in London, because it is accounted for in the London offices. Everybody who lives in London genarates GDP every time they eat. Etc. Much of this would not necessarily follow the City financial institutions down the tubes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X