• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Useful software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful software

Create PDF's for free -

http://www.primopdf.com/

Rip PDF's for free -

http://www.convertpdftoword.net/

Comment

Linux

Does it all
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Linux

Does it all
        Really?

How do I make it hibernate my Thinkpad and successfully wake up again? Or turn the WiFi indicator light on and off according to in-use or not? Analyse the battery situation? Operate all the Fn keys? Drive the PCMCIA slot? Run the fingertip security?

It basically sort of works, but it doesn't work right. I had lines of research for all of these things, and if I had been installing Linux as a hobby in itself I might have enjoyed that; but that wasn't my aim.

Comment

SAP

no wait... that microsoft thingy.

Edit: Sorry Stu, this could have been a useful thread.

Comment

Linux

Does fook all

Comment

Skype - though the latest release takes a bit of getting used to.

Textpad - because it has never let me down

Google maps/Google Earth - because I like it and I haven't had to buy an A-Z for ages now.

Winzip - it's on every PC I use.

Comment

Oh, no: Linux does a lot. It just isn't, well, ready for prime time, on a user laptop at least. It was so close, that I looked at what I really wanted: unix-based GUI system with solid OS that runs apps of all kinds and works well with all the hardware including the thoughful little touches. I found one of those.

Comment

Linux

Does it all
                  Including your music stuff?

For the Windows fans:

OS X for me. OK it isn't strictly speaking free, but last time I looked it was cheaper than XP or Vista Pro editions. PDF creation is built in, as is the ability to burn CDs and DVDs. Plug and Play that really does work, and without the need to install drivers for every piece of kit you need to connect. No DLL Hell either.

The development environment and X11 are also included for free, and there's boatloads of freeware out there which is just a download and recompile away.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Mac looks good, seems to work well (finally after years of being flaky).

Linux however, outside the server room.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Edlin.
                      TECO (but not for a long time now)

vim

For a GUI editor on OS X, TextWrangler.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X