• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Afghanistan a worth battle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    When it ends, the only thing the UK will have left to make is babies.

And we do seem to be rather good at that, at least.
    If you mean underage chav babies, then yes, we lead the world...

Not quite so good at producing babies with an IQ much greater than a dog though.

And the chav ones aren't really up to being cannon fodder any more coz they're too stupid.

Comment

If these idiotic politicians bothered to read history books, they never would have invaded Afghanistan in the first place. Nobody has won a war in that part of the world. Ever.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        If these idiotic politicians bothered to read history books, they never would have invaded Afghanistan in the first place. Nobody has won a war in that part of the world. Ever.
        The Afghans have...

Comment

There is that. Including the British Army, who won most things but didn't win that; the Indian Army which in Empire days never lost anything, except Afghanistan; and the Russians, who should have had the firepower to flatten it, and had a pretty free hand, but eventually gave up and retired. Possibly the problem is that it is hard to define victoy in this case, and the Afghans don't co-operate in defining it.

Comment

Is Afghanistan just a honey pot, something to keep the extremists busy so they stay away from our doors? I can’t think of any other good reason?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Is Afghanistan just a honey pot, something to keep the extremists busy so they stay away from our doors? I can’t think of any other good reason?
              It's almost the opposite: the Saudis have for years paid to export their fundamentalists to other places like Afghanistan, to keep the Saudi ruling family safe in power. With the current price of oil so low, and the Saudi wells drying up (OK if you believe them, they have exactly the same reserves as they had 15 years ago), that may not be possible for ever.

Then Al Quada will turn on its real target (Saudi) and an anti-western government will take over there. They will then turn off the taps, and the US will immediately invade, using nukes as needed.

Hence the panic at the thought of other Islamic countries getting nukes.

Worried yet?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                The Afghans have...
                ...it could be argued that nobody (apart from arms manufacturers) ever wins a war, but that is perhaps far too deep for this forum
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

...it could be argued that nobody (apart from arms manufacturers) ever wins a war, but that is perhaps far too deep for this forum
                  "There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy". - Bart Simpson
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have to say, I heard the 'we fight them either in afghanistan or the streets of british cities' argument and I didn't believe it.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I was thinking of posting a similar poll here.

What are we doing in Afghanistan? Answer: looking for Bin Laden. We lost him years ago, and we should get out.

Frankly if a load of Ruperts and some squaddies want to get shot up in the desert they should do it with their own money.
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X