• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Afghanistan a worth battle?"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    Trying to deflect attention Mr. Pruffock? If that is your name........

Everyone knows OBL was a Mossad man.
    You can call me Alf.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    OK -

Things ain't what they seem - you are aware that Bin was a CIA Agent ?? Right ??
    Trying to deflect attention Mr. Pruffock? If that is your name........

Everyone knows OBL was a Mossad man.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Link?

Old article, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1626889.stm

"...it simply is not true that Afghanistan is the main alternative to Russia.

On the contrary, very few western politicians or oil companies have taken Afghanistan seriously as a major export route - for the simple reason that few believe Afghanistan will ever achieve the stability needed to ensure a regular and uninterrupted flow of oil and gas."

OK -

Bush’s priorities have always been skewed. Just months after declaring he wanted bin Laden “dead or alive,” Bush said, “I truly am not that concerned about him.” Turning his attention away from bin Laden, Bush trained his focus on Iraq — a country he now admits had “nothing” to do with 9/11.

You can google that qoute for yourself.

Things ain't what they seem - you are aware that Bin was a CIA Agent ?? Right ??

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It keeps Ross Kemp away from another Eastenders come back and for that alone the deaths are worth it. They gave up themselves so that we may live.
    It's better than that - he could get shot!

But having watched the last series and now this one I realised that you never get to see who is shooting at them. It's always in a compound a few 100 meters away. It could be anybody just setting it up for the telly.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    You make an excellent point. I have long held the belief that US foreign policy is dictated by the US "defense" industry (now THERE'S a laughable term!), coupled with the large number of the Bush and previous administrations who held Israeli/USA dual citizenship (not sure about the current administration).

I was chatting to a colleague over a beer at the weekend who made the point that if the world's economy can move away from a dependency on the USA - something that the recession if it continues will probably make inevitable anyway - there is a distinct probability that the USA will effectively be in chapter 11 bankrupcy...and that will be the best thing for world peace since Hitler died.

An interesting point.
    Look on youtube for Eisenhower's farewell speech from 1953, where he warned of the "military-industrial complex". It rings true more than ever.

I do not believe that the US will give up its position of primacy without a fight.

They tried to destabilise the Euro, the only risk the dollar has seen since the British Empire, causing wild swings in its value in its early days (too high or too low, either would harm it).

They split off the UK by getting us in the war, and out of the euro (if we priced oil in euros, so would Norway; then Russia would too unless bought off; and the dollar would be gone).

They back Israel, who will do any dirty work needed in the Middle East, because if the US goes down, so will they.
    Last edited by expat; 18 February 2009, 12:35.

Leave a comment:

• M_B
    replied

I was chatting to a colleague over a beer at the weekend who made the point that if the world's economy can move away from a dependency on the USA - something that the recession if it continues will probably make inevitable anyway - there is a distinct probability that the USA will effectively be in chapter 11 bankrupcy...and that will be the best thing for world peace since Hitler died.

An interesting point.
    The even more cynical out there would point out that the dollar is the reserve currency and while that is true the world will always be dependent on the US economy. Iraq and a few other countries tried to change that situation by trading oil in Euros and making the Euro the reserve currency..... but then it was invaded for having weapons of mass destruction.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by M_B View Post
    ...The overly cynical side of me thinks though that the fighting will continue as it provides funding and a testing ground for military industry, protects the oil\gas pipeline in Afghanistan and helps to provide fear for introducing increased security laws at home. All in all the profit and political benefit from sacrificing 100+ of our troops annually will outweigh thoughts of bringing them home.
    You make an excellent point. I have long held the belief that US foreign policy is dictated by the US "defense" industry (now THERE'S a laughable term!), coupled with the large number of the Bush and previous administrations who held Israeli/USA dual citizenship (not sure about the current administration).

An interesting point.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It keeps Ross Kemp away from another Eastenders come back and for that alone the deaths are worth it. They gave up themselves so that we may live.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Looking for Bin laden ? Why then did Bush himself declare that he was not interested in finding Bin Laden and the French security services tracked his wehrebaouts (thiw was POST Sep 11th) gave his co-ordinates to the US who did nothing.
    Link?

No - the attraction for Afghanistan is the contunation of the Great Game - stategic importance for Oil and Gas Pipeline - follow the money.
    Old article, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1626889.stm

"...it simply is not true that Afghanistan is the main alternative to Russia.

On the contrary, very few western politicians or oil companies have taken Afghanistan seriously as a major export route - for the simple reason that few believe Afghanistan will ever achieve the stability needed to ensure a regular and uninterrupted flow of oil and gas."

Leave a comment:

• M_B
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    No one has ever defeated the Afghans.

They cant be defeated in a western sytle war, these people are of a different mind set to us, 1000 afghan soldiers killed are just replaced by another 1000 converts.......and so on.......
    Alexander the Great and Genghis Kahn both invaded Afghanistan. Genghis Kahn's tactic was simple - kill everyone. Alexander the Great had a more difficult time.

Technically we are there to fight the Taliban rather than the Afghans, but I agree we are going to be there for the next 30 years at this rate, especially as the majority hide in Pakistan and I'm not so sure the Afghans really want us there. We should be looking at other options you would have thought.

The overly cynical side of me thinks though that the fighting will continue as it provides funding and a testing ground for military industry, protects the oil\gas pipeline in Afghanistan and helps to provide fear for introducing increased security laws at home. All in all the profit and political benefit from sacrificing 100+ of our troops annually will outweigh thoughts of bringing them home.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I was thinking of posting a similar poll here.

What are we doing in Afghanistan? Answer: looking for Bin Laden. We lost him years ago, and we should get out.

Frankly if a load of Ruperts and some squaddies want to get shot up in the desert they should do it with their own money.
    Looking for Bin laden ? Why then did Bush himself declare that he was not interested in finding Bin Laden and the French security services tracked his wehrebaouts (thiw was POST Sep 11th) gave his co-ordinates to the US who did nothing.

No - the attraction for Afghanistan is the contunation of the Great Game - stategic importance for Oil and Gas Pipeline - follow the money.

And theres a fair maount of money in the Heroin trde which has been restarted thanks to the invasion.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I was thinking of posting a similar poll here.

What are we doing in Afghanistan? Answer: looking for Bin Laden. We lost him years ago, and we should get out.

Frankly if a load of Ruperts and some squaddies want to get shot up in the desert they should do it with their own money.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I have to say, I heard the 'we fight them either in afghanistan or the streets of british cities' argument and I didn't believe it.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    ...it could be argued that nobody (apart from arms manufacturers) ever wins a war, but that is perhaps far too deep for this forum
    "There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy". - Bart Simpson

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    The Afghans have...
    ...it could be argued that nobody (apart from arms manufacturers) ever wins a war, but that is perhaps far too deep for this forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X