• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway Queue Jumping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was doing the M25 twice a day I'd get my lane blocked every day by people queue jumping for the other lane.

The lane to exit the M25 and go southbound (out of London) was always jammed pretty far back however the traffic to go into London was never congested - or shouldn't have been. The reality was that the lane for people who wanted to head into London was always congested with people trying to queue jump into the lane to go out when it shouldn't have been.

Added an extra 5-10 minutes to my journey

So when I had to stop and wait for a bunch of people blocking my lane and indicating to get into their correct lane I'd put my hand on the horn and keep it there until they moved.

Made me feel a bit better..
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I used to do M25 twice a day. As soon as congestion started, I'd go for the left hand lane. It was always quicker.

The probability is, whatever lane you choose to sit in in traffic, it'll be the slowest. Because that's the one with the most vehicles. And so the one you're more likely to be in...
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I can't vote because I don't accept that "waiting until the last minute" is "jumping in".

Zip merge works best for EVERYONE and should be encouraged as the norm.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
          I can't vote because I don't accept that "waiting until the last minute" is "jumping in".

Zip merge works best for EVERYONE and should be encouraged as the norm.

tim
          The poll wasn't about 2 lanes going into 1 at road works or other motorway lane reduction.

its regarding queueing to exit a motorway using a regular slip road.
          Do you get into lane 1 in plenty of time (as the highway code recommends)
          or wait in lane 2, 3 or 4 and then quickly move across lanes at the last minute to exit after passing the queue of traffic waiting to exit
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            All well and good but what happens when you pull in at the last minute to find both lanes full of traffic and noone prepared to let you in. I've seen this happen and the culprits sat waiting in the middle lane thus causing a serious hazzard. By all means pull in later if you can see, but IMHO the majority of drivers can't see and are risking their and other peoples lives.
            It's happened once, I had to keep going and get off at the next junction, 10 miles between J21 & J22 on the M5.. I would never put anyone else in danger just so I could save a few minutes.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              The poll wasn't about 2 lanes going into 1 at road works or other motorway lane reduction.

its regarding queueing to exit a motorway using a regular slip road.
              Do you get into lane 1 in plenty of time (as the highway code recommends)
              or wait in lane 2, 3 or 4 and then quickly move across lanes at the last minute to exit after passing the queue of traffic waiting to exit

Who wants an extra 5-10 minutes added to their journey because their lane is blocked by people who don't think they should have to wait in line like everyone else?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

I was queuing to get off the M5 this morning - slip reduced to one lane due to road works.

Some idiot tries to get down the hardshoulder/part of lane 1 which was coned off and then tries to push in front of me.
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                  I was queuing to get off the M5 this morning - slip reduced to one lane due to road works.

Some idiot tries to get down the hardshoulder/part of lane 1 which was coned off and then tries to push in front of me.

Perhaps he was just a busy man with a tough schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by landl View Post
                    It's BECAUSE people barge to the front of the queue by using the third lane that the other two lanes are stationary! In any other scenario, this would just be pushing in! Would you do it in a shop or when you're waiting to buy a ticket somewhere? Then why do it in a car? I see the same thing everyday and am almost at the point of "if you can't beat them, join them".
                    Bollocks.

Show me one shop that has 3 'lanes' that merge into 2 and I'll show you 3 lines of people merging into 2.
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                      Oh

Sorry for my numptieness

tim

Comment

Working...
                      X