• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How negotiable are rental prices right now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes, that is the point of this thread... to know rules of thumb, since I'm more used to buying than renting.
    It all depends on how fairly priced it was in the first place.

Comment

Offer less for longer, if rent is £900 a month, offer £800 a month but lock yourself into a 12 month contract.
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Is it considered normal to ask a landlord for a 'reference' - e.g a current/ex-tenant you can ask about the landlord? I think it would be fair, even if it's not commonly done.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yields are low because properties are overpriced, it is a simple as that!

Lots of landlords run on pissy sub 4% yields because they believe their property value will always go UP!, they don't really CARE abiout the yield, they are only concerned with capital gains. This is the biggest mistake amateur landlords make.

The intention of BTL was for profitability via good yields, 7-10% back in the late '90s. The bandwagoners all jumped on when the house price bubble really took off and ignored the indicators of sound investment, aka yields and mortgage interest to rental income ratios.

Simple fact is that rents have not gone up in the last 10 years at the same pace as house prices, and the reverse is now happening, that house prices are falling faster than rents.

In theory once housr prices are correctly priced, rents will normalise to suit, but whilst there is massive shortages in mortgage lending, rents will stay artificially inflated as mroe and mroe people are prevented from buying and forced to rent.

Sad truth is that professional landlords with sound LTV on their portfoliio and longer term fixed rates are in positions to up their rent to maintain profitability even in this recessionary climate.

The hand to mouth landlords will mostly be gone from the market in the next 12 months as their sorry portfolios get repossessed due to the fall in their asset values.

Comment

The best thing is to buy a house and eventually live rent free. I'm almost there, on 130 quid a month for a 4 bed detached.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              The best thing is to buy a house and eventually live rent free. I'm almost there, on 130 quid a month for a 4 bed detached.
              I don't know if our mortgage will drop further following the latest interest rate cut, but it was down from £346 to £114 last payment.

We could move and leave this house empty for virtually no cost at all.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post

Sad truth is that professional landlords with sound LTV on their portfoliio and longer term fixed rates are in positions to up their rent to maintain profitability even in this recessionary climate.

The hand to mouth landlords will mostly be gone from the market in the next 12 months as their sorry portfolios get repossessed due to the fall in their asset values.

Not a fan of the Andy Shaw guide to investment then?
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  Not a fan of the Andy Shaw guide to investment then?
                  Don't know who Andy Shaw is, wasnmt posting much before I started a new gig in jan 2009!

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
                    Don't know who Andy Shaw is, wasnmt posting much before I started a new gig in jan 2009!
                    Andy Shaw is atypical of the 'levaraging to the hilt on your property' landlords that are now filling their pants as they realise that they can't get any more 85% LTV mortgages on their portfolios.

Comment

As a landlord I'm in no hurry to let if offered a lower price, I can afford to wait until something comes with the right price. If you were paying £260 on a mortgage and letting it for £600 a month, would you not do the same?

When we first advertised a number of people came round looking we just let them bid against each other - took about 10 minutes.

In the end we did not go with the highest offer but the couple both in full time secure employment, who seem nice enough. It's not always about the money. The house let was our first home and we want to ensure it's looked after.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X