• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ban on Dutch MP from entering UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    I would like to say I don't share a single viewpoint with the bigot. Even though I dislike all religion, I respect the right for anyone to believe in what they want, and to wear what ever silly clothes they want to.
    And the freedom to say what you want as well, no?

Do you think you could release a film with the line "Mohammed is not the prophet of God, he's just a silly boy" - in the style of Monty Python Life of Brian? Bet you couldn't.
    Bored.

Comment

Geert Wilders idealistic world seems to be straight out of V for Vendetta.

I would like to say I don't share a single viewpoint with the bigot. Even though I dislike all religion, I respect the right for anyone to believe in what they want, and to wear what ever silly clothes they want to.

It is through education, and a reduction in poverty that the world will improve. Not through totalarism and the fear of people that are different to you.

P.S I would let him in. Having a stupid opinion is not a reason to ban someone.
      Indeed. I’ve seen this guy becoming more and more extreme the last few years. He used to be a sort of libertarian in a centrist party who campaigned reforms to social security, but he’s become an extremist anti-Islam single issue campaigner, who continually stokes up hatred of muslims; he claims to stand up for free speech, but only really if it’s free speech for himself. He introduced a bill in the Dutch parliament to ban the Koran from the Netherlands and has even called for the removal of muslims from Europe. His party campaigns for Dutch Antilleans to be refused entry to the Netherlands, even though they are citizens of the same country. Many of the supporters who demonstrate for him are known members of neo-nazi organisations, and indeed one of his campaign officers at the last election posted messages on neo-nazi websites calling for their support. Once the press got hold of this, the campaigner was sacked, but one suspects that was done to save face.

It’s up to you guys whether you think he should be allowed into Britain, but personally I’d say you should think twice, even thrice and do not underestimate the true nature of a very smooth operator.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        And the freedom to say what you want as well, no?
        The right to offend someone is an important right. And so is the right to state why you are offended. i.e. free speech.

Obviously if some uses free speech to make a threat then they should be dealt with by the law.

Governments should not be afraid of prosecuting people that make threats.
        Organisations should not be afraid of offending people.

But failure of the Governments, and the fear of the organisations, is not an excuse to push xenophobic ideology.

So I stick to my previous comment. I share NO views with him.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

...I would like to say I don't share a single viewpoint with the bigot. Even though I dislike all religion, I respect the right for anyone to believe in what they want, and to wear what ever silly clothes they want to..
          ...P.S I would let him in. Having a stupid opinion is not a reason to ban someone.
          Having stupid hair is though, I think.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Having stupid hair is though, I think.
            Fair point.

Ban all hair that is stupid.

Comment

The right to offend someone is an important right. And so is the right to state why you are offended. i.e. free speech.

....but we don't even have the right to offend by accident any more, thanks to political correctness. I refer to Carol Thatcher in the 'golliwog incident' and the nurse that was suspended for offering to pray for somebody to get well.

There is little free speech nowadays and it is getting less under this HMG.

Comment

Obviously if some uses free speech to make a threat then they should be dealt with by the law.

Governments should not be afraid of prosecuting people that make threats.
                Organisations should not be afraid of offending people.

But failure of the Governments, and the fear of the organisations, is not an excuse to push xenophobic ideology.

So I stick to my previous comment. I share NO views with him.
                I see what you're saying, but if the offended group decides to kill those who disagree with it, and the government does nothing for fear of offending them, aren't people right to become indignant? Isn't xenophobia pretty much a natural reaction to this?

EDIT: I also note this government is too afraid to keep out extremist nutters who themselves are part of this group we're all so keen not to offend.
                Last edited by Platypus; 11 February 2009, 15:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  I see what you're saying, but if the offended group decides to kill those who disagree with it, and the government does nothing for fear of offending them, aren't people right to become indignant? Isn't xenophobia pretty much a natural reaction to this?

EDIT: I also note this government is too afraid to keep out extremist nutters who themselves are part of this group we're all so keen not to offend.

So true. I remember when Ken Livingstone wanted to allow an extreme muslim in to preach hatred and this was only stopped after public uproar.
                  Funny how Labour don't want to offend muslims with an election coming up !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    ....but we don't even have the right to offend by accident any more, thanks to political correctness. I refer to Carol Thatcher in the 'golliwog incident' and the nurse that was suspended for offering to pray for somebody to get well.

There is little free speech nowadays and it is getting less under this HMG.
                    There is a difference between offending someone based on different point of view, and racism. Calling someone a Golliwog is racist. But it is more than that. Carol's natural reaction to refer to someone who is black as a Golliwog shows an underlying level racism that is ingrained in her. If it was an accident she would have apologised. She has not.

On the praying for a patient subject:
                    It is totally inappropriate for someone that is in a position of power to offer a patient a medical solution that has not been tested though scientific means. Including: Witchcraft, Prayer, Homoeopathy, Reflexology, Osteopathy or Morris dancing.

She didn't need to be suspended. But just asked not to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      So true. I remember when Ken Livingstone wanted to allow an extreme muslim in to preach hatred and this was only stopped after public uproar.
                      Funny how Labour don't want to offend muslims with an election coming up !!
                      Public uproar is good. That is how we should deal with idiots. By collectively telling them, that their views are not acceptable.

We shouldn't try to restrict speech.

Comment

Working...
                      X