• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone signed on the dole while benched?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
    I thought the whole POINT of the welfare system was to provide support to those who otherwise couldn't support themselves. Not to "take advantage" of the system because you happened to have contributed towards it.

So why are foreigners such as Poles entitled to claim benefits such as child benefit when they have contributed nothing to our system, but somebody who has paid tax and NI for 35 years entitled to nothing when they are out of work due to an HMG that welcomes foreign workers that puts its own people on the dole?

Comment

oh and

Cyberman This message is hidden because Cyberman is on your ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        Go to the Job Centre (or whatever they are called this week) and explain the situation. They'll give you the forms to fill in.
        So, to get your mother-in-law off your back - which was the purpose of the question - just go to the Job Centre and get it from the horse's mouth. Then you can shut the old girl up.
        Everything BI says here is true, sane, and well expressed.

Especially the bit about how you are still employed by your Ltd Co, and still working for it even though it is not billing a client for your activities at the moment. If you don't like that, you could go and work for a software house. They'll pay you salary even when you're on the bench.
        Last edited by expat; 10 February 2009, 09:22.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

snipped some lesser crock/

When you sign on, if you personally have plenty of savings, you won't get any money. You will, however, be entitled to the job-seeking non-financial assistance they can give (travel expenses, advice and training).

snipped some lessor crock/
          What a load of crock!

It doesn't matter how much you have in the bank, if you have paid NI then you get JSA of £60 per week. If you don't have much in savings then you can apply for means tested benefits.

Please do not spout opinion as fact.

Comment

.. and whether or not you are entitled to JSA, you should sign on because you will get NI credits which count towards your pension. You need 30 years of NI contributions built up for full entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              What a load of crock!

It doesn't matter how much you have in the bank, if you have paid NI then you get JSA of £60 per week. If you don't have much in savings then you can apply for means tested benefits.

WHS !!

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                What a load of crock!

The £60 a week is defo not means tested ? A quick google and it was unclear if the 16K savings bit kicked in. I'm with the lot who believe if you've paid in for years you take what you are entitled to when times are bad. I'll probably decide it's not worth the hastle in the end but I have thought about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  The £60 a week is defo not means tested ? A quick google and it was unclear if the 16K savings bit kicked in. I'm with the lot who believe if you've paid in for years you take what you are entitled to when times are bad. I'll probably decide it's not worth the hastle in the end but I have thought about it.
                  WHS. If you have paid in then why not take out if its available? Dont blame the player. Blame the game.

Honour has nothing to do with it. Also, how can claiming benefit be considered the same as stealing FS tv's. Way off the mark if you ask me.
                  I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post

You have to attend every two weeks at the same time and also show proof of looking for work. It's certainly worth the hassle if you need the money, and who knows how long the economy will be dead. My guess is anything up to two years, but it could be longer. Do you also want to lose two years NI contributions, because that is also a substantial sum that you would have to make up later ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                      So why are foreigners such as Poles entitled to claim benefits such as child benefit when they have contributed nothing to our system, but somebody who has paid tax and NI for 35 years entitled to nothing when they are out of work due to an HMG that welcomes foreign workers that puts its own people on the dole?
                      Someone who has paid tax and NI for 35 years is entitled to something, they just have to meet the criteria (the same way that the poles in your example do). These criteria don't include employment by and directorship of, a company that doesn't happen to have any clients at the moment.
                      Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X