• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the worst gig you ever had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did any of you guys consider submitting your war stories to thedailywtf.com? Sounds like there are some tales her to match the classics on their site...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Yeah, but the problem is this, once they explain what they want it makes sense and you appreciate it needs to be done, even though it wasnt in the original request. They are just no good at their job. If you go ahead and follow the spec blindly, you may as well buy a turban and a dodgy accent.

This is a problem and a half. In my current assignment the client has forgotten, or rather just not clearly specified their requirements in the SOW, now I can see this and I can see the end customer will not approve.

So what did I do? Clients really don't like been told what to do, it's a no no. Yet your there as a consultant. So it becomes a process of suggestion eg. perhaps this course of action would be more appropriate etc..

It takes years of you so it does but who else is going to pay me for my fantastic service?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Is there anything as sweet as seeing Clientco disappear into your rear-view mirror on the last day of a gig?

Comment

'What's the worst gig you ever had?'

THIS ONE.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
            Is there anything as sweet as seeing Clientco disappear into your rear-view mirror on the last day of a gig?
            Yes, seeing the last invoice you send them get paid.

Comment

The first one. Crappy code which was edited in the live environment (testing seemed to be for wimps), a foul-mouthed dim-witted chav as a team lead and all the permies whinged about their jobs - constantly.

I'm not bitter though ....
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Reading these stories makes me realise how lucky I've been, though I will admit that in some places the thought of the invoices has kept me going. Most of my problems have come in the form of rubbish accommodation or being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a tricky commute.

The tale of the army bloke makes me shudder, and reminds me of an interview with a similar sounding type. He was telling me what hours I'd be working and which days I could work, when all along I knew that the client operated different hours and didn't take UK bank holidays off (this was a gig abroad). I'm glad I turned that one down.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've had a few but because I use my real name its probably not best to go into them.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I've had a few but because I use my real name its probably not best to go into them.
                    It's probably best not to tell everyone that Tony English is your real name.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X