• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank bonuses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The argument some people are giving is that if they don’t pay bonusses then the most talented people will leave. Which begs the question; where will they go? If nobody’s hiring, there’s no need to fear people leaving.

So no. No bonuses until the taxpayer has been repaid. At that stage, those who have contributed most can be rewarded handsomely, especially software testers.
    If your bonus is bigger than your salary (I've no idea what % is common) then I'm sure lots of people would leave rather than take a drastic pay cut. They might decide to set up their own financial services business or simply take a year or 2 sabbatical on the huge savings they have from previous years.

I don't doubt many here would rather spend a few months benched than take even a 20% rate cut, if they have good warchests - same principle.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Originally posted by snaw View Post
      They don't necessarily have to leave. Some of the people we're talking about work absolutely insane hours, with the expectation they'll be rewarded with a decent (Dunno if anyone is expecting big this year - was out with a couple of guys I know in IB last night, and they reckon 60% of what they got last year would be better good).[/b]
      Alternatively aren't insane hours a major cause of mistakes?

The obvious consequences I see from working normal hours are that they'll be able to lead a more balanced life, have less broken homes, incur less in divorce costs etc, I would have thought that the last person you want in charge of squillions is someone who's permanently suffering from nervous exhaustion and maybe resorting to a cocktail of drugs and booze to cope.
      But if everyone takes a 30% pay cut and works 30% less hours, you still need to DO the other 30% of the work, which means paying other people.

Of course that would lead to hiring more people (at lower pay) which would get some good Brownie points.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        But if everyone takes a 30% pay cut and works 30% less hours, you still need to DO the other 30% of the work, which means paying other people.

Of course that would lead to hiring more people (at lower pay) which would get some good Brownie points.
        Could you give them another name? I don't think Brown really has very positive connotations at the moment.

Greenie points?
        Bluey points?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
          WHS. People will 'earn' money any way they can.
          Prostitutes do.....

Comment

Very timely !!

http://www.uksa.org.uk/UKSA_Press077_Pay.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Could you give them another name? I don't think Brown really has very positive connotations at the moment.
              That was deliberate... if the banks create more jobs who will be claiming to save the country?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                That was deliberate... if the banks create more jobs who will be claiming to save the country?
                world
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X