• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beggars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't give money on the streets. I donate to Oxfam to fight against poverty globally.

I don't think I'm helping if I give money to someone on the street. Everyone that gives is making begging a viable lifestyle choice. Which isn't good for anyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Dunno who that is
      He's from Spinal Tap. There's a whole routine about his amplifier going up to 11 when most stop at 10, so his is 1 louder. My joke was a hilarious take on this.

You had to be there, I s'pose.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
        He's from Spinal Tap. There's a whole routine about his amplifier going up to 11 when most stop at 10, so his is 1 louder. My joke was a hilarious take on this.

Bit before my time, I think
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Bit before my time, I think
          Yeah, mine too. My dad told me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post

I get it - I was there and am probably old enough to be everyone's dad

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              I get it - I was there and am probably old enough to everyone's dad

Comment

Don't give them food, thats just exacerbating the situation

Give them money for drugs instead
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Don't give them food, thats just exacerbating the situation

Give them money for drugs instead
                  Sometimes I think that might be the kindest thing. Give 'em an enormous wad to go and buy the best charlie they can lay their hands on. Saves some time in their downward spiral to the grave.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Once in the Eighties I was walking down to work at about half ten in the morning when a wino came out of a supermarket a few yards ahead. He appeared agitated but, seeing me, his face lit up.

As he rushed over to me I braced myself for the usual sob story but to my surprise he opened his hand, revealing about 70p, and said "Mate, have you got eight pence - I'm that much short of a bottle of cider!"

I was so impressed by his honesty that I gave him a quid and told him to get two

Comment

It could be easier to end up there than you might imagine:

In my life I have seen people buying Tennants Super Lager at about 8am in the morning twice.

Once was two wino's scraping together enough coins for a 4-pack between them. They were quite happy that they were sorted for the rest of the morning.

The other was a chap in a suit who had just arrived on a train at Waterloo. I saw him walking out of the shop and stuff three cans (an odd number I know unless he had already put one somewhere else) into his brief-case. He didn't say what he was planning to do with them, but I imagine the intention was to consume them before his journey home.

Me, I never give to beggars in the street. The only ones I have seen in London in recent years have all been junkies and giving them money directly will only serve to extend their misery.

Mind you, I never give to people with collecting tins in the street either.

Comment

Working...
                      X