• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pretty much the end of steelmaking in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7850596.stm

We bloody invented the process.
    Didn't know we were related. He was one of my ancestors too. Small world hey!
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Didn't know we were related. He was one of my ancestors too. Small world hey!
      Well hello mister Bessemer!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

They will close these steelworks, I guarantee it.

A steel plant is not something you can easily mothball.

Tata have been stripping these plants of anything useful since they bought out Corus.
        IIRC, it take years to cool down, re-line then fire up a single furnace

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Tata have been stripping these plants of anything useful since they bought out Corus.
          Bloody reverse colonialists, eh?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

What do we make anymore that anyone would want?
            I want more Lemon Curd.

Otherwise, I’d recommend reading an article from the Harvard business review in the beginning of the 80s where two professors outlined the reasons for the decline of American manufacturing and heavy industry in an article called ‘Managing our way to Economic Decline’. A lot of what they say applies just as well to British industry, and frighteningly, to the service businesses of today.

Unfortunately the whole article isn’t freely available on t’internet, but there are a few summaries.

http://arunsmusings.blogspot.com/200...c-decline.html

A few choice excerpts;

‘managements' short-term, control oriented mentality has biased investments towards imitative rather than innovative product designs’

‘pseudoprofessionals. These are people who have no special expertise in any particular industry or technology, but run the company using financial controls, portfolio concepts and a market-driven, follow-the-leader strategy’
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

First into the Industrial Revolution and first out.
              Not surprising really. We had vast amounts of coal, used it up, and now have little left to show for it except a boomed population. Still, a major breakthrough in solar or nuclear technology could change things and we should be paying guys in those fields £millions/year instead of their antitheses in the form of the likes of (d)Ross.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Not surprising really. We had vast amounts of coal, used it up, and now have little left to show for it except a boomed population. Still, a major breakthrough in solar or nuclear technology could change things and we should be paying guys in those fields £millions/year instead of their antitheses in the form of the likes of (d)Ross.
                I've always been a strong supporter of seven figure salaries for techies. Just seems logical to me.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  IIRC, it take years to cool down, re-line then fire up a single furnace

No, just about 6-8 weeks for a modern blast furnace, but currently it costs more than it's worth with the margins these steel producers are operating with.

I think they would probably just run the plant into the ground and then write it off.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Same goes for the pottery industry in this country.

Try finding a decent pair of jugs now and your looking at a foreign import.

Comment

They will close these steelworks, I guarantee it.

A steel plant is not something you can easily mothball.

What does it matter? The Labour government stole them from the family years ago, it was only a question of time before they finally ran them into the ground. Recon they'll be celebrating on a job well done soonish: marches with double-speak banners 'Save our Steel'. LOL

They'll put a Tescos up on the site, and aclaim the wonders of their job creation strategy!
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X