• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Come dine with me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I want good food, not a lecture about what I’m supposed to like.Rant over.

Which restaurant was that?

unfortunately you get some chefs who think they know better than their customers and the vast majority of michelin star chefs do not adhere to that way of thinking.

but I know where you're coming from.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I don’t mind the odd ‘chef’s latest trick’ dish, but some chefs are so far up their own behinds it just pisses me off. I want good food, not some overblown kitchen chemist’s latest brainfarts. Fine if you give me one or two in-between dishes that surprise me, but I really feel like I’m being taken for a ride with this tosh. It's just tacky, a bit like a white bentley with chrome 'keep wizzing about' wheel covers.

A couple of weeks ago Mrs Tester and I, who aren’t exactly your regular Little Chef customers when we go out to eat, went to a place with 2 stars that had lots of rave reviews. 5 courses, 4 very good, but 1 just wrecked everything; cold chicken stock with a mussel floating in it and a weird foam on top. Of course it was called ‘Chilled Cappuccino’ of something or other, but it looked like a cat's ear in formaldehyde and the only way I can describe the taste and texture of it is to say that I can’t believe any heterosexual man would enjoy it. I had the temerity to suggest to the waiter that it might taste better warm, and before you knew it, there was the chef, calling me an uncultured bumpkin and lots more stuff I shan’t repeat. I might be an uncultured bumpkin and granted, I look a bit like a baddy from a Rocky film, but I’m a paying customer and I want good food, not a lecture about what I’m supposed to like.

Rant over.
      Come on - name and shame.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Come on - name and shame.
        Have already done so; Bokkepruik in Hardenberg, eastern NL.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

you're too quick for me - if I'm ever in eastern NL I will avoid!
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Have already done so; Bokkepruik in Hardenberg, eastern NL.

I should add if the chef came out and gave me an earful, I would have told him to shove his menu where the sun doesn't shine and have left the restaurant.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I should add if the chef came out and gave me an earful, I would have told him to shove his menu where the sun doesn't shine and have left the restaurant.
              I just said give me my pud and leave me alone. I can’t be bothered fighting with these tossers. Paid, no tip, left.

Comment

I just said give me my pud and leave me alone. I can’t be bothered fighting with these tossers. Paid, no tip, left.
                I would have just left, you would have been perfectly within your rights to do so.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  I would have just left, you would have been perfectly within your rights to do so.
                  I know you are in the UK (provided you can prove you were able to pay) but does that apply in NL too?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I know you are in the UK (provided you can prove you were able to pay) but does that apply in NL too?
                    I don't believe it does. I'd still have to pay for the satisfactory dishes and I can't be bothered arguing the point before I've had my pud.

Comment

I don't believe it does. I'd still have to pay for the satisfactory dishes and I can't be bothered arguing the point before I've had my pud.
                      What was pud? Chef's special dumplings with a sticky frothy sauce?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                      X