• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone weekly commute by train, Crewe to Euston?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
      Buy a helicopter.
      £60 an hour won't support the cost I'm afraid
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Only benefit to first class on virgin is the space and slightly more comfy seats (no leather). For a city based contract it's less stressful, quicker and cheaper than driving
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Off topic but worth a mention I though, wifi was available on 1st class GNER service (Edinburgh to London) (1-2 years ago) and the seats were well comfortable, someone would come round keeping your tea level to the brim, in the china cup I might add.

The first great western 1st class is truly a step backwards. The leather seats are some of the most uncomfortable (probably for easy cleaning I thought), wifi not available, and you still have to go the restaurant with your 1st class ticket to get a cardboard cup of hot water with separate tea bag. Worst of all the ticket was a good 50% more than the GNER, I though at that price I'd get a foot massage.
          I used to travel to London from Manchester regularly on Virgin trains. I always booked in advance and avoided peak times (if possible) and as a consequence was able to travel 1st class all the time. Its lovely, lots of coffee and a snack/breakfast and on the return leg usually a few vodka and tonics. I found it very relaxing >hic<
          Also you can go and sit in the first class lounge in Manchester or Euston - which is great if you're early for your train, someone will make you a cuppa and as much snack food as you can stuff in your handbag.
          The lounges have free WiFi, but I'm not sure about the trains.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Off topic but worth a mention I though, wifi was available on 1st class GNER service (Edinburgh to London) (1-2 years ago) and the seats were well comfortable, someone would come round keeping your tea level to the brim, in the china cup I might add.
            I do 1st class Glasgow to Edinburgh every day on that service. A few of the staff are pretty tidy, the new lemon curd biscuits are top class and you get real toilets as well with flushing water.

It's like the Orient Express compared to the Scotrail service out of Queen's Street.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'd have to get the 8.00am train from Crewe hence peak time travel. Doesn't seem to come cheaper than £100 single ticket even in advance. Could probably get early afternoon train back on a Friday I think for maybe £35-ish. I'll be negotiating this week, the potential job is Brentford. If it comes off I'll be looking for cheap digs next.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I do 1st class Glasgow to Edinburgh every day on that service. A few of the staff are pretty tidy, the new lemon curd biscuits are top class and you get real toilets as well with flushing water.

It's like the Orient Express compared to the Scotrail service out of Queen's Street.
                mmmm agree,...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X