• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heathrow Third Runway? Option?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large seaplanes are simply not economically viable to construct and run due to the size, weight and drag factor caused by the massive floats. You see, a standard commercial jet, neatly packs aways it's landing gear after take-off. If they were left down, the increased drag factor would double the overal fuel consumption. Floats are way too big to fold away.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
      Large seaplanes are simply not economically viable to construct and run due to the size, weight and drag factor caused by the massive floats. You see, a standard commercial jet, neatly packs aways it's landing gear after take-off. If they were left down, the increased drag factor would double the overal fuel consumption. Floats are way too big to fold away.
      Another bean counter spoiling the fun. Look mate, banks aren't economically viable, neither are labour governments and neither are social security systems and none of them will get you from the Thames to Lake Tanganyika, but we've had all three for a long time.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

a) is that true?
        b) bean-counting isn't everything.
        c) undercarriage didn't always retract, but they designed stuff that did.

This 2007 article in the Telegraph suggests a come-back.

Comment

Does a new runway matter? IIRC heathrow is near some of the biggest sheetholes in London, so it can hardly lower house pirces or make the area any worse.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
            There are 2million people scratching around with nowt to do.........
            would you fly in a plane built by someone with nothing better to do?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

tim
              I think I have .......

Comment

Are you comparing like for like? The floats on existing seaplanes are based on 60 or 70 year old designs. Quite possibly new designs would be much more efficient. They could also be made to retract if the plane's fuselage is designed to fit them.

Please, let's have a bit more can-do around here. We're techies, not feeble minded managers. The likes of us built the modern world. Managers gave us the pet rock and merchant banking. We're standing on the shoulders of giants like Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Alan Turing and Barnes Wallis. Let's do them justice and stop trying to pretend things are 'too difficult'.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've just found a way to eliminate the chav problem & & London's airport expansion issues -

Kill & Dump 2 million chavs in the Thames Estuary and use them as basis for building BoJo's new airport.

Sorted.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Another bean counter spoiling the fun. Look mate, banks aren't economically viable, neither are labour governments and neither are social security systems and none of them will get you from the Thames to Lake Tanganyika, but we've had all three for a long time.
                    any government.

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Does a new runway matter? IIRC heathrow is near some of the biggest sheetholes in London, so it can hardly lower house pirces or make the area any worse.
                    Biggest sheetholes in the UK surely

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

tim
                    All planes are built by someone with nothing better to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      Trouble is, those planes will have to fly over Kensington & Chelsea - increasing actually annoyance by a factor of 10* for people who actually matter.

* made up figure. Can't be arsed to look up the real one.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X