• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went for an interview a few years back (permie role - yes I know it was my own fault) and had a real good interview for about one hour with this guy. He showed me around all the new premises the company was moving into and introduced me to a few 'key' people. I though the job is in the bag. he then dropped a bombshell - "right, I'll now introduce you to the client". This was the bloody agent, though to be fair he came across as a decent guy.

The actual guy interviewing for the role hadn't read my CV, wasn't really sure what he was after - was in and out in 5 minutes. The agent was fuming when I told him. Least it taught me a valuable lesson - don't go permie !

Comment

Slightly different, but I interviewed a guy a couple of years back....making small talk from reception to the meeting room discussing journeys and weather etc, he called me an idiot for taking the route into work that I did.

Needless to say I turned down the chance to use his services.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

should point out my second interview with the same person comprised of "tell me about your CV" again!
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

(Again a permie interview years ago) THey wanted me to come in and deploy a client management software called LANdesk which I'd done a fair bit of before. Interview was with 3 different people including the IT Director. All went very well, impressed all 3 people but asked them what my role would be after I had done the deployment.

They had no answer for this and then phones me direct to apologise for not thinking it through properly, it was only my foresight that made them realise there was no permanent job. Managed to persuade them to take me on a contract basis! result! So good and bad really!

Comment

First interview for a "proper job" after university. The interviewer talked for about 45 minutes about the company and job, but wouldn't let me get a word in edgeways, and I didn't get a chance to sell myself.

I couldn't work out why I'd bothered...
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I had a couple of interviews for my placement year 'in industry' when at uni. One was at xerox. The middle management type started out by drawing some diagrams on a whiteboard describing some architecture or other. He was so dull in his delivery I had a real problem paying any attention at all, I was really trying to look interested but probably not managing it. During this a woman, probably some sort of underling maybe a secretary or reception person came into the room without knocking. The dull man went ballistic at this woman and I can still recall the look of utter fear on the poor womans face. It seemed to me that he had been bullying her for years, she left apologising and visibly shaking.
              I decided then I didn't want it, listened politely to the rest of his droning and left as soon as I could.

'Is there anything you'd like to ask me?'

'No.'

Another was at bt. I was met at reception and went up in a lift with the middle management goon. The lift was all glass and he pointed out a couple of trees they had in the lobby to me, telling me very proudly that they cost 10k. Again I tried to look impressed/interested but probably didn't pull it off. He was visibly disappointed at my lack of enthusiasm for the trees. He spent most of the subsequent interview telling me how hard a job it was for him to have to choose a student for placement out of 20 applicants, and that he didn't think it was his job.

In the end I felt sorry for these people, they were clearly unhappy. I promised myself then never to work as an employee in a large company in case I ended up like them.

I've avoided it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                In light a recent events (for myself) what is the worst interview that you have had.

In my case the interviewer couldn't be bothered asking any leading questions and just got me to "tell him about my cv", leaving me no clue to what they were looking for....
                One interview I had recently involved me confirming that I did not require DV clearance for the role (prior to the interview), during the interview I was told that DV clearance was a pre-req. They tried to persuade me to consider the role, ended up telling them that I would think about it, and told the agency that I was going to withdraw my application.

Another role with a company in MK. Should have asked the obvious question to the Agency about DV clearance before the interview.... anyway... the interview went well... got offered the role, but the pre-req was that I had to go through DV clearance. A clear D'oh moment... ended up having a debate with the agency and persuaded them to accept that I wasn't going to take the role.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  Correct answer is:

My CICS experience is limited compared to my COBOL experience. As you can see from my CV, I don't think this will be a limiting factor in me providing the services you are looking for.
                  I tried that once, the interviewer just re-iterated that he was only interested in knowing my experience in the exact thing that he was asking about.

Fortunately, it was phone interview.

(I found out later that he was just fishing for people with that experience, so that he could tender for a contract that required it. His company knew sod all about the thing in question and were looking to buy the knowledge. They didn't get the contract)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    what is the worst interview that you have had.
                    I'm sure I've answered this before.

Did you want:

a) the South London Housing Association that had each of us do a presentation on how to run a particular project and at the end of the presentation said "You can go now. We're not recruiting. We just wanted the free consultancy."

b) the bloke who called me to an interview just to prove my CV was a pack of lies because I'm a contractor. I offered him a referee for every entry but he didn't need to check them as I was "clearly a liar, nobody could have done what you claim to have done". (I think my CV is not that impressive.) If I recall correctly, I invoiced them for that one.

c) travelled to Edinburgh (from either North Wales or Leeds, I forget) for an interview as an undersea civil engineering manager (ask Diver to list the qualifications needed for that 'cos I wouldn't know), sold to me as an IT project manager role. "Same thing innit? Does that mean you don't want it?" That interview clashed with my wife's birthday.

I'm sure there have been others, but I try to blank them out.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Bloke who was conducting the interview took a phone call (from an agent ) and offered their candidate the job. When I asked how many roles they were recruiting for he said "just the one" but he did not have time to cancel mine

Oh well - was before I started to contracting
                      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                      X