• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beckett tells first-time buyers: don’t delay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which year was it sold for £36k?

You sure its worth more than £36k now?
    I thought it was 30K, but maybe that was another one. There was some young lass not so many years ago who bought a spot she could only reach by a ladder. Can't remember what she paid for that one though.
    Last edited by Sysman; 19 January 2009, 09:22.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Nearly choked on my chocolate weetos when I seen that.

She should lay off the crack pipe.

I liked the opening paragraphs in the article:

IN A grey suburb peppered with dilapidated fast-food joints and bargain basement stores, the stucco cottage seems an unlikely residence for a cabinet minister.
      But while the bric-a-brac, 1970s soft furnishings and kitsch little lamps that adorn Margaret Beckett’s home may not be to everyone’s taste, the place is spotlessly clean and cosy - and the owner clearly house proud.

For some reason it just sounds like the home of a little mentalist living in a Birmingham suburb, permanantly on the sick as they are just too stupid/mental to actually do a job. So pretty accurate then.
      Foreign secretary - FFS
      Bored.

Comment

Can't remember which comedian said it but this is the best quote I've heard on Beckett:

She looks like a winner - a Grand National winner...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I thought it was 30K, but maybe that was another one. There was some young lass not so many years ago who bought a spot she could only reach by a ladder. Can't remember what she paid for that one though.
          There was one of these on Homes under the Hammer. It was in Mayfair somewhere.

They paid well over 100K for it and, because they had bought it unseen, were well pissed off. Until, that was, they discovered that they could rent it at 250pw.

tim

Comment

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was probably talking about Margaret Beckett.

But I was really hoping it was referring to Sam Beckett off Quantum Leap, giving us the benefit of his hindsight in an attempt to put right what once went wrong etc.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              demand != shortage

Lots of flats were put up were people don't want to live in flats (i.e. Leeds). The 'demand' was almost purely from BTLers.
              Government policy is to encourage builders to build flats rather than houses, because the occupancy per acre is higher. This Government Policy was not arrived at by a consideration or survey of what people actually want to live in. "Government Policy" on many matters is not something that anybody can remember having voted for. And I don't just mean this government.

Comment

Working...
              X