• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uk Doom - How do we prepare for what happens next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    It probably isn’t. Italy has been broke on paper for the last hundred years or so, but Italians seem to stumble on in their usual happy go lucky fashion. That’s the problem; they don’t get round to reforming their economy because lunch is too good to waste time on stuff like that.
    I like that philosophy. Bonus - the women are stunning too.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      The more the merrier. Can you tie a noose? Chequers is not far from me.
      And no self respecting mob would be complete without tar and feathers. Definitely suitable for an ex-neighbour who was an active member of his local Labour party.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        They're going for expansion, now?
        Time to sell Waitrose shares I think.
        Good luck! Because they are part of the John Lewis partnership, i.e. not open to private shareholdings
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Indeed, and British seasonal veg at it’s best is as good as any in the world. British grass fed Hereford beef is simply unbeatable, but unfortunately almost unavailable in continental Europe since ignorant people got confused about BSE, which never affected grass fed beef herds.

English wines are now reaching high standards, British farmhouse cheeses are fantastic and British game is perhaps the best in the world, because it’s well managed.
          *ahem* no supermarket veges are as good as those grown in your own HUGE back garden (the std NZ quarter acre). I've had british beef and sorry no comparison to NZ beef (and cows) fed on nothing but green clover (no antibiotics, no ground up offal, no hormones).

NZ wines are consistently world-class (and usually theres a vineyard or 10 nearby). OK you might win on the cheese and game, but even thats debateable.

Furthermore its pretty easy to go catch a meal off nearly all the coastline in NZ (snapper and kawhai beat cod any day, with a side order of freshly caught scollops), and if you haven't tried bacon and pork from a wild boar freshly shot you are really missing out. Oh and wild venison, real free range eggs, green-lipped mussels (the big ones), non-frozen NZ lamb etc etc etc

Comment

If there are pheasants in your local woodland, you might entice them into your garden by taking a walk in the evenings and leaving a trail of chicken feed to your princely estate. It doesn’t work in one go, but after a while you’ll wake up in the morning to see a nice plump pheasant pecking around on the lawn. It isn’t technically poaching, seeing as the animal strayed onto your land.

If you live in the country, wood pigeons can be quite tasty, especially if you have the equipment for smoking pigeon breast.
            At my little country pile the biggest problem with the local wild pheasants is running over all the bastards in your car - they are big enough to do some damage.

As for wood pidgeons, its a toss-up over which are more populous, them or the rabbits.

And *everyone* has a smoker, usually an old fridge converted for the purpose. What else do you smoke all the kawhai in?

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
              I think I may well emigrate at some point in the future unless there is a change in the fundamentals of society and government in this country (not party politics, but the essence of how we are governed)

Problem is I am nto sure where I woudl want to settle and bring up a family. Idealiistically I would say Italy, but their economy is (pre crisis) worse than ours.

Germany is a good option but I dont like the language.

Maybe Japan!
              [IMMIGRATION MODE] Have you considered New Zealand? Same size as the UK but only 4m people, lakes, beaches, mountains, abundant wild life to catch or shoot, scenery, good weather. A progressive IT industry.

And its cheap - median house price in NZ is about 100k sterling, even a mansion in Auckland is only about 300k pounds.

Plus once you have a passport you can also work/live in Australia, or just nip back to the UK for a few months, work there, then pop back here and chillax for the rest of the year on your sterling (30k sterling pa would be a VERY nice income in NZ).

AND we speak English, actually quite like English people, have european beers (still about 2 quid for a pint).

And ultimate bonus - a rugby team that actually wins most of the time (World Cups excluded).

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                [IMMIGRATION MODE] Have you considered New Zealand? Same size as the UK but only 4m people, lakes, beaches, mountains, abundant wild life to catch or shoot, scenery, good weather. A progressive IT industry.

And its cheap - median house price in NZ is about 100k sterling, even a mansion in Auckland is only about 300k pounds.

Plus once you have a passport you can also work/live in Australia, or just nip back to the UK for a few months, work there, then pop back here and chillax for the rest of the year on your sterling (30k sterling pa would be a VERY nice income in NZ).

AND we speak English, actually quite like English people, have european beers (still about 2 quid for a pint).

And ultimate bonus - a rugby team that actually wins most of the time (World Cups excluded).

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
                Sounds great, why not keep it to yourself

How long have you been out there? Where do you consider is the best part of it to live?

Comment

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
                  But on the downside you have to live near Tay

<shudders>

Comment

[/IMMIGRATION MODE]
                    Will you STOP THAT please? I am 57 years old. Can't immigrate once you turn 56

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      Will you STOP THAT please? I am 57 years old. Can't immigrate once you turn 56
                      Ooh, ta. Didn't know that. Still an open option here then

Just, and if I get my skates on...
                      Last edited by Sysman; 17 January 2009, 14:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X