• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    NorthEast very near Durham, an old mining village.
    Bowburn or the other side?

Comment

coalman

My cousin works at a local 'Coal Merchant' as they are now called. As is the nature of the business in these modern times, they have a very wide delivery area.

You would be surprised at the number of people who still get or qualify for concessionary coal or take the cash alternative - especially in my area. It used to be about 10 bags per month, for 10 months of the year. It is paid to ex-miners and their widows ('ex' meaning redundant or retired.)

the estate my house is on, is on the site of an old colliery. Of the 15 or so houses in the row of terraced at the side of my garden - which are ex 'pit' houses - at least 5 burn coke. I suppose 'free' heating outweighs the inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
      X