• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2100 Barclays Jobs To Go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    They realised that people were looking up people this way so everyone who was being made redundent don't have the zzJanDelete next to them now.
    What is the point of this bulltulip? Why do companies try to keep it a secret who’s going and who isn’t when they ‘reorganise’? It’s not as if everyone’s going to work really hard to try and keep their jobs; most people will be too demotivated anyway. This stupid, dishonest game of cat and mouse demonstrates why such companies are in trouble; they’re run by childish cretins with no backbone, no ideas and no insight into human nature.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      What is the point of this bulltulip? Why do companies try to keep it a secret who’s going and who isn’t when they ‘reorganise’? It’s not as if everyone’s going to work really hard to try and keep their jobs; most people will be too demotivated anyway. This stupid, dishonest game of cat and mouse demonstrates why such companies are in trouble; they’re run by childish cretins with no backbone, no ideas and no insight into human nature.
      Actually, my experience from working at Barclays (at least the BarCap bit anyway) was that everyone knew that the execs saw headcount as a needless expense...so the headcount's allegiance wasn't exactly huge, so Barclays get all the problems that results from people not giving a damn about what they do (I am not referring to we fine upstanding members of the noble contracting fraternity here of course).

Barclays always boot people out at the drop of a hat, and twig quite early in the piece that they've overdone it and start hiring again. It was ever thus and they never learn.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

About 50% or possibly more of job specs I got were BarCap. They were kind of a dustbin in the banking world.

If you couldn't get a "proper" job you could always go to BarCap.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

My crystal ball was correct http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7827184.stm

They just told the guy opposite to me and next to me they are redundent, I have my meeting with manager at 6pm so bench here I come.
          Sorry to hear that i left there in dec, no boubt i'll be back for 3rd term some time in 2009 when they realise they've cut too many staff and cant function properly.

Priorities change at the drop of a hat in the barcap environment, flavour of the month:

jan is cost cutting
          Feb will be increasing the customer service/response to incidents
          march will be realisation they dont have enough staff
          april contact ex-contractors and re-hire

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
            Sorry to hear that i left there in dec, no boubt i'll be back for 3rd term some time in 2009 when they realise they've cut too many staff and cant function properly.

Priorities change at the drop of a hat in the barcap environment, flavour of the month:

jan is cost cutting
            Generally indicative of past years for most of the places I've been.

In the current climate however, surely there's a good chance that the April budgets will be less than the previous ones and automatic renewals aren't to be relied upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Welcome to Hell Mitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                Generally indicative of past years for most of the places I've been.

In the current climate however, surely there's a good chance that the April budgets will be less than the previous ones and automatic renewals aren't to be relied upon.
                But the snot goblin has told us that by June the recession will be over, so by April Barclays will be aware of the fact that things are beginning to pick up again.

You mean, you don't believe him???
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                  But the snot goblin has told us that by June the recession will be over, so by April Barclays will be aware of the fact that things are beginning to pick up again.

Amazingly, no.

Despite admissions that "we've made mistakes and we're learning from them", I suspect he still has some way to go yet...

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Of course we believe him

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post

jan is cost cutting
                      Jesus, now you put it that way, I realise that I have no patience with this sort of thing any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X