• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social Mobility

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
    Government needs to basically stop subsiding ANY university course that does not clearly add value to our economy.

Do remember that top up fees are just that, they form a smaller proprtion of the entire course fees that universities charge, with the government plugging the shortfall.

How does a government justify subsidising basket weaving or sci-fi studies?

If we want more engineering graduats we need to fully subsidise appropriate degrees and penalise the useless ones.

Ai bit of social engineering to get our skills abse where it needs to be for the future. You can bleat on with rhetoric all you want about investing in green technology and manufacturing, but if you don't have the qualified personeel to back it up you are going nowhere.

We need policy to encourage the right type of graduates, from the sciences, maths, physics and geology. Not media studies, sci-fi and other bollox courses.
    I agree to a point, but there should always be room for expanding the sum of human knowledge. Not dopey subjects like basket weaving or Star Trek which add nothing, but perhaps little-known chunks of history, fine art in an onscure country, or the behaviour of worms. I think we'd become a narrow-minded nation of philistines if all study had to have an obvious money-making result.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I agree to a point, but there should always be room for expanding the sum of human knowledge. Not dopey subjects like basket weaving or Star Trek which add nothing, but perhaps little-known chunks of history, fine art in an onscure country, or the behaviour of worms. I think we'd become a narrow-minded nation of philistines if all study had to have an obvious money-making result.
      I didnt mention money making anywhere.

I said appropriate skills. History, fine arts, literature are all skills with more inherent value than basket weaving. I just gave some examples of skills sorely lacking today.

basically a skills council which identifies areas of weakness in our society, economy, culture and sets funding levels for those subject areas accordingly.

Comment

I dont much care anymore if its not different as long as my taxes go down! .....

If that means same as before but less[sic] Taxes on my hard working arse, then Tories get my vote
        Good luck with that. Even Cybertory reckons taxes will rise under the next Tory government. They certainly did under the last one.

Comment

“Income inequality is down, the impact of your parents' background on your exam results is less than it was, so there are real signs of change.”

This could be interpreted to mean that lots of previously wealthy people have lost their jobs and businesses and that all schools are equally crap.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

We need policy to encourage the right type of graduates, from the sciences, maths, physics and geology. Not media studies, sci-fi and other bollox courses.
            But fizzix is reelly diffycult man innit. AND u ave 2 go outdoors 2 do geology and it is cold and wet outdoors and I wanna be a merchant bankah cos dey urn a lot and sit indors and just chill wiv some hot pussy man.

I tell you, some kid said something like this to me recently when I suggested studying Geology

While you're at it, could you add business studies and 'international marketing management' to your list of 'bollox courses'?.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
            X