• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is America still admired?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that coding errors list from the NSA is a microcosm of what is happening inside the USA: one time they'd buy in the best brains in the world, but what with the "war on drugs" and now "war on terror" restricting the uptake of the best brains, they're no longer the scary outfit they once were, but reduced to creating silly lists, and stuff no one but yanks want to buy.

Comment

It's a paranoid and semi-closed country with a huge level of violence, that still practices judicial killing, pollutes like there's no tomorrow, bombs hospitals around the world, and tortures in its camps where victims have no right to trial.

So I guess it would be quite popular with a lot of you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        It's a paranoid and semi-closed country with a huge level of violence, that still practices judicial killing, pollutes like there's no tomorrow, bombs hospitals around the world, and tortures in its camps where victims have no right to trial.

But you can't deny its geographical beauty and wide open space. It is simply a stunning place to visit.

I'm not interested in living there now. But there was a period where I had contemplated working in Silicon Valley. It was GWB that kept me out. Yesterday's performance by Mr. Misunderestimated says it all...perhaps if Obama makes it into a second term..I may re-think that move.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          But you can't deny its geographical beauty and wide open space. It is simply a stunning place to visit.
          TBH I never thought to mention the geography in the context of the thread as the OP put it.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            It's a pretty damning indictment of an entire population to say it's a tuliphole but the empty bits are really nice.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced America's success can be attributed to its business, political, legal or social, etc, ideologies. I think it's more due to the fact that they live on a huge continent full of boundless natural resources and would be hard pushed to go wrong with such a large pot of natural wealth to live off. Without it they would be screwed pretty quickly IMO and we shouldn't try to copy them as if we were in the same happy position.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

That's a +1 for the terrorist list Elmer.

America has a lot of problems though I think half your list is down to George W Bush, who has earned a place in history (just not the one he wanted), but I'm for it, would prefer UK to be more like America in fact. And to make my argument, all I can (be bothered to) say is "Obama".
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  ...would prefer UK to be more like America in fact. And to make my argument, all I can (be bothered to) say is "Obama".
                  I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I wouldn't.
                    Me neither, so I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      It's a pretty damning indictment of an entire population to say it's a tuliphole but the empty bits are really nice.
                      One could say the same of the UK....but isn't that a given?
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X