• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco goes into administration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting on Restaurant and Coffee chains to start reducing the number of shop fronts in high density areas like London.

I used to buy a coffee and criossant once a day in 2007/2008. Stopped dead once the financial doom and gloom set in, and thats from a contractor.

I can only assume the permies of this land will cut back, and then some.

Starbucks, Coffee Republic and Pizza Express are my bet for downsizing

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Actually, like for like, a 98p shop is less profitable than a 99p shop as 2p change costs more than 1p or 5p from the bank. Now a 95p shop is a goer, which is why the menus in my fish and chip shops aim to X.95p
      But that begs the question; what happens when a 94p shop opens?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Actually, like for like, a 98p shop is less profitable than a 99p shop as 2p change costs more than 1p or 5p from the bank. Now a 95p shop is a goer, which is why the menus in my fish and chip shops aim to X.95p

Threaded is Ian Beale and I claim my free jumbo sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          But that begs the question; what happens when a 94p shop opens?
          I often try to give the staff a talk about giving change, in this example, as a 5p + 1p as it is less expensive than 3 x 2p, but they glaze over.

So the 94p shop is none runner as you can't get the staff.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I sense I'm going to regret asking this, but how is 2p change from a bank more expensive than 1p or 5p? If I want £5 worth of 2p's it costs me £5 shirley?
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
              I sense I'm going to regret asking this, but how is 2p change from a bank more expensive than 1p or 5p? If I want £5 worth of 2p's it costs me £5 shirley?
              No, banks charge you for withdrawing coins and they charge at different rates per coin.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I often try to give the staff a talk about giving change, in this example, as a 5p + 1p as it is less expensive than 3 x 2p, but they glaze over.

So the 94p shop is none runner as you can't get the staff.
                You don't say

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Poundland are vulnerable to competition from 99pLand;

99p

One customer said '"The more you buy for 99p, the more pennies you save. I have just bought six items, so I've saved 6p."

How desperate is he?

What happens when someone opens a 98p shop?
                  Is there anything in Pound World or 99p Stores that is worth buying? Or even having, for nothing?! So the best way to save 6p is to not buy their crap in the first place. No wonder our country is so doomed
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Actually, a large drop in Tesco business for last year was reported today in the media, and the reason is competition from the lower-end supermarkets. They may not go bust, but they are certainly suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                      Is there anything in Pound World or 99p Stores that is worth buying? Or even having, for nothing?! So the best way to save 6p is to not buy their crap in the first place. No wonder our country is so doomed
                      Yep, I bought a great hat and a load of batteries.

A Poundland opened up near me in a posh part of town some weeks ago, but it transpired that they were only going to be open over Christmas. So last weekend they had a big sign outside saying "Everything must go!" and similar signs inside the shop, plus 2 for a pound signs in various places. So I selected two items and went to pay £1 for them, but the cashier said she wanted £2 as it was only the rubbishy things that were 2 for a £1, so I left in disgust. What a rip-off!

Comment

Working...
                      X