• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another abbey cock up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    asking for the card details, expiry date, security number and atm pin!
    Your computer has been badly compromised. You are being phished, and if this happens when you have typed the bank's official URL into the browser location bar, you must regard that machine as essentially worthless from this time forward - it could be a corrupted hosts file, or a poisoned DNS cache, or any one of a wide variety of other evil tricks

If you have a bookmark ("favorite", if you insist on using IE) by which you went to the site, be aware that there are trojans and such that will search for and rewrite such bookmarks to point to a phishing server.

In any case, even typing the URL into your browser isn't good enough now - if whatever got you can do that, it can do anything, and there could be keyloggers and all sorts of similar evil on there

DO NOT USE THAT COMPUTER FOR ANY ACTIVITY REQUIRING SECURITY. YES, I'M SHOUTING. IT'S THAT BAD. I'M BREACHING NETIQUETTE to drive it home to you

Comment

Couldn't Bolshie just download a free trojan checker? There are some good ones on Russian warez sites.

(I know someone who actually did that.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What everyone else has said - they NEVER ask for PIN numbers - this sounds like a fake website that may have got you...but def get onto them first thing

Comment

Working...
        X