• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revealed: the environmental impact of Google searches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's face it, humans create all sorts of C02 emissions and pollution.

The only answer is to take off and nuke the place from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      How many carbons are saved by the use of all this communication technology? Surely e-mail is better than driving or flying to have a face to face meeting. And searching for something on Google is a greener source of information than having to print lots of books, and ship those books all round the world.

They should factor that in.
      Making books locks carbon in the form of paper, so there's less in the air. For the same reason, we should build more roads.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

surely it would use less energy if it didn't return 11 million plus results when I'm only going to browse maybe the first 100 or 200?
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          surely it would use less energy if it didn't return 11 million plus results when I'm only going to browse maybe the first 100 or 200?
          10 or 20
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Has anything ever generated more hot air than SKA?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5489134.ece

While millions of people tap into Google without considering the environment, a typical search generates about 7g of CO2 Boiling a kettle generates about 15g. “Google operates huge data centres around the world that consume a great deal of power,” said Alex Wissner-Gross, a Harvard University physicist whose research on the environmental impact of computing is due out soon. “A Google search has a definite environmental impact.”
              Problem solved - see This thread
              If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                10 or 20
                yes for most people it would be 10 or 20 - when I am doing research on specific topics I might go as far as 200 though - I've setup my google page to show 100 results.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

It uses up less energy then surfing for the result by hand. That would mean your PC is on for longer and mean more than 7g of CO2 is produced.

The alternative is if everyone did 4 searces a day. The power would not rise linerally so we would use maybe 6g per search.

I've just saved the planet.

Comment

I can't believe that the guy who wrote this didn't have anything better to do..

If you want to be an expert in your field, pick a field that no-one else wants to stand in.
                    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I'm sure Gordo will include a google-tax some time this year, to claw back cost of the VAT reduction.

Comment

Working...
                      X