• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doorstep rubbish collection to end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a plan. Stick the bins next to the social housing that is required on every estate...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

"Doorstep" collections ended years ago - every week I have to drag the bins up a slope to the edge of the property - luckily it is a wheelie bin.
      Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 9 January 2009, 10:42.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
        "Doorstep" collections ended years ago - every week I have to drag the bins up a slope to the edge of the property - luckily it is a wheely bin.
        There are loads of houses near me that have dead end lanes behind them, the lorries used to reverse up them until an old guy got killed by one.

Now they are forcing the home owners to take the bins down to the end of the lane, now some of these lanes are 150 meters long on rough ground with steep hills and they are asking pensioners to do this.

People are refusing to pay council tax now, it has turned into a council Vs locals stand off.

Nothing quite like seeing a group of angry middle class people with a cause.

Comment

bin man - 'where's yer bin'

japanese man - 'i been to Japan'

bin man - 'no, where's yer wheelie bin'

japanese man - 'I wheelie been to Japan'

igmc
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-200901091500/

COUNCILS across Britain are to save millions of pounds by placing a massive skip full of rotting chicken carcases and used incontinence pants at your front door.

Officials say the 3200-litre communal waste bins will help to reduce the cost of the one thing you are actually happy to pay them to do properly.

Council tax payer Bill McKay, from Brighton, said: "I pay about £1600 a year in the full knowledge that the vast majority of it will be wasted in the most insultingly gratuitous fashion, but that they will, at least, come along once a week and empty my wheelie bin.

"Now I will open my front door to be greeted by a huge, black tulipbox, which, I have no doubt, will quickly become a nightclub/vomitorium/bed and breakfast for the local vagrancy and their pet rats."

But the Local Government Association (LGA) insists the savings can be diverted into other priorities including a new taskforce designed to get more midgets into the House of Lords.

An LGA spokesman said: "There seems to be a misconception that councils are somehow there to provide services and do things that people want.

"This is the 21st century. There are more important things we can do with taxpayers' money than go around picking up indivdual wheelie-bins from outside people's houses and then emptying them into the back of some large outdated truck.

"For example, very few of our cherished local libraries have an interactive display about the history of anal sex. And then, of course, there's my pension."

Mr McKay added: "JUST EMPTY MY ******* BINS!"

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              Good stuff, and they will be able to pass on the savings through reduced council tax I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5477863.ece

Giant street bin takes over from doorstep collections

Doorstep rubbish collections are being scrapped with families being required instead to use huge communal bins in a scheme that might be introduced across the country.
                Superb, bring it on!!

(It's what they do in Spain, a brilliantly fair method IMHO)

tim

Comment

Working...
                X