• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The immigrants aren't going home, they're signing on.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    We are foolishly tolerant.
    We were foolish enough to let so many people in so we should pay the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      If nobody wants them to claim benefits then they shouldn’t be made to pay tax and NI contributions.
      I don't want to claim benefits, should I be exempt from paying tax and NI???
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

In my younger days, I visited Poland and made a few good friends there. The people I met there were hard-working, friendly and charitable.

The family I stayed with would have gladly shared their last loaf of bread with me. I'm sad and ashamed to say I can't say the same for the vast majority of people here.

Comment

I went on holiday to Poland many years ago, to see Majdanek.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            We were foolish enough to let so many people in so we should pay the consequences.
            This is another example of why britain doesn't get the whole EU thing. We pretty much stuck to the spirit and letter of our treaty obligations hence people came to Britain to work and live and now are entitled to claim benefits.

Large parts of the rest of Europe sign up to the same stuff and then just go on their merry way with localised protectionsist measures - see Holland, Belgium, France etc. - that make it difficult to work and, in some cases, reside in their neck of the woods.

To me it is a fundamental cultural difference and the UK has just never learned to take what it wants from Europe and to ignore/enforce rules as it suits us.

Comment

I don't think it is really going to be a problem.

Benefits are less in Poland but the cost of living is less so it's silly to compare directly.

I don't think there will be too many people who have enough gumption to go abroad to work, have worked hard for 12 months, and will then be content to take the absolute minimum income possible on benefits.

Comment

To me it is a fundamental cultural difference and the UK has just never learned to take what it wants from Europe and to ignore/enforce rules as it suits us.
                Well we have much lower unemployment than the rest of the EU and importing workers was a huge benefit to our economy.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                  I don't think it is really going to be a problem.

Benefits are less in Poland but the cost of living is less so it's silly to compare directly.

I don't think there will be too many people who have enough gumption to go abroad to work, have worked hard for 12 months, and will then be content to take the absolute minimum income possible on benefits.
                  I agree. Sounds like another predictable news item from the Daily Mail.

Comment

Huge benefit? Even based on the government's own highly flawed studies it works out at £2 or £3 a week per person. That was during the good times of course.

With proper control immigration really could be a huge benefit and some are excellent but we let in too many of marginal or negative value who lower the average. Check out the welfare, social housing, crime and health stats from the government or other reputable bodies.

We would not seriously expect the Australians or Canadians to take in welfare kids from our sink estates so why do we do the equivalent?

Even when migrants do a good job, and I think most Poles/Czechs do, it is a way to duck real problems we have, like forcing some of the welfare dependent back into employment.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 8 January 2009, 17:47.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      We didn`t, Labour did.

Comment

Working...
                      X