• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Rate cut .5 %

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't they just get straight down to 0%?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Ha ha

I assume you were happy with the fixed rate at the time so why so glum now? Perhaps you were hoping rates would go up so you'd be protected and could be smug about it? Now it's gone the other way are you're all upset cos someone else is getting a better deal than you.

Bizarre.
      No, I was not especially happy, but back in July just before the wheels came off I was simply glad to get it sorted out. Nothing to do with being smug. Some you win some you lose. C'est la vie. Doesn't prevent me from disliking the rate I am on though. Not sure why you would find that bizarre. Are you wired correctly I wonder?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Ha ha

I assume you were happy with the fixed rate at the time so why so glum now? Perhaps you were hoping rates would go up so you'd be protected and could be smug about it? Now it's gone the other way are you're all upset cos someone else is getting a better deal than you.

Bizarre.
        How unnecessarily spiteful.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
          Why didn't they just get straight down to 0%?
          As then they have fired their last shot. They like to keep something in reserve.

Comment

I'm happy, i have a lifetime tracker rate 0.49% about the base rate

shame me forking utility bills keep going up
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yeah 0% the pound could collapse, savers withdraw money en mass. As long as those on trackers save a few quid though what does the wider economy matter. A cheap mortgage on the dole!
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Yeah 0% the pound could collapse, savers withdraw money en mass. As long as those on trackers save a few quid though what does the wider economy matter. A cheap mortgage on the dole!

Well, it will save HMG a fortune on mortgage benefits !!

Comment

This message is hidden because Cyberman is on your ignore list.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    How unnecessarily spiteful.
                    Perhaps

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Are you wired correctly I wonder?
                    Perhaps not.

I seem to meet two types of people, those who took a fixed rate at about 5-6% and figured that whatever happened to rates they were getting a good deal (considering long term average interest rates over say the last 25 years). Then there are those who sign up to a similar rate being convinced that they've signed up when rates were at their lowest and that they can fold their arms certain in the knowledge that they're smarter than average.

I respect people in the first category and admire their philosophical view of the current (assumably temporary) drop in rates.

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I laugh heartily at people in the second group when the smile is wiped from their face. I guess I just don't like braggarts.

Comment

Lifetime tracker mortgage with no collar or floor

.... though linked to the Barclays base rate, which they are now saying they cannot guarantee will always be the same as the BOE rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X