• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trainspotters being stopped under anti-terror powers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The fact that the searches were carried out in railway stations doesn't mean they were all trainspotters. Have a look at this video a commuter recorded of being randomly chosen for a stop-search under anti-terrorism laws at Waterloo one evening
    Terrifying. Is this what the UK has become?

A friend of mine whos brother is a PC told me that they were not allowed to excercise any kind of discretion or individual judgment now. All directives are from the top, and they must obey them to the letter.

Don't blame the copper on the beat. They are not all moronic bastards. Most of them feel as bad about this as anyone else does.

p.s. Great avatar Puss!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 5 January 2009, 18:14.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      ..... in third world countries where they fear a coup, but the UK for Heaven's Sake?
      The UK not being one of those, I suppose?

Comment

They must have put in about 150 new security cameras in Glasgow central recently, I would imagine they are running facial recognition software, cameras aimed at every possible exit from a train at the platforms, made by Siemens ironically.

They should protect us from a flaming Cherokee Jeep I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          They must have put in about 150 new security cameras in Glasgow central recently, I would imagine they are running facial recognition software, cameras aimed at every possible exit from a train at the platforms, made by Siemens ironically.

They should protect us from a flaming Cherokee Jeep I suppose.
          Do you think that all this security is to protect us?

Comment

train

The Prevention of Terrorism Act 2000 has been used to stop 62,584 people at railway stations and another 87,000 were questioned under "stop and search" and "stop and account" legislation.
            the SD (better known as gestapo), MI5 , FBI and similar services were also very active in train stations during WWII.

Comment

I used to stay in Armagh during the 80s and just now it's not really that far off what went on there then.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Philately will get you nowhere.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There is no "Prevention of Terrorism Act 2000".

It's either the "Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005" or the "Terrorism Act 2000" (in this case, the latter).
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why exactly did we need a terrorism act in 2000 with stop and search powers?

It was probably the time of least terrorist activity in Britain during the last 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      Why exactly did we need a terrorism act in 2000 with stop and search powers?

It was probably the time of least terrorist activity in Britain during the last 40 years.
                      Interesting question, very interesting. No 9/11 yet, IRA all quiet, no foreigners stomping around London making trouble. Why did we need it? Yes, it did consolidate and clarify a number of previous Acts.

It also made permanent the provisions of the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Act 1989, which in the spirit of its name had up till then had to be renewed every six months. Now you see creeping control in action: first it was only for 6 months; then it had to be renewed every 6 months; then it was made permanent. Got a problem with that, Citizen Smith?

And it introduced random searches. No need for suspicion of any kind, far less a warrant: we want to search you, we search you. If you refuse, you will be arrested, handcuffed, and detained. Oh and of course have your DNA taken and kept on file forever. In case we ever find it useful.

As Ben Franklin said, those who would give up freedom for security, deserve neither freedom nor security. I would add, and won't get either. The British people of today do not deserve either, because they let this happen without complaint.

Comment

Working...
                      X