• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Science

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    "Gilliam McKeith, or to give her her full medical title, Gilliam McKeith"

Bizarrely, I'm of the opinion that whatever people ate 10,000 years ago is probably the most healthy diet.

I would explain, but I'm wary of the famous CUK ridicule and opprobrium. Besides, I'm not a PhD yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Bizarrely, I'm of the opinion that whatever people ate 10,000 years ago is probably the most healthy diet.

I would explain, but I'm wary of the famous CUK ridicule and opprobrium. Besides, I'm not a PhD yet.
      Not so bizarre, and almost certainly correct

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Actually I totally agree, with the exception that meat should be cooked rather than raw (bad meat probably killed a lot of our ancestors).

So a diet that hunter-gatherers had: lots of meat, and raw berries, fruits and veg is probably what our bodies have evolved to cope with.
        Of course they had a lot more exercise too - running away from sabre-tooth tigers concentrates ones heart and lungs beautifully.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Oh i LOVE Ben Goldacre his Guardian column is a must in our house.

Must buy the book
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

The Paleolithic diet.

Pretty trendy now.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Not so bizarre, and almost certainly correct

Is there one universal ‘healthy diet’?

Isn’t a healthy diet dependent on circumstance, activity and to some extent genetics?

For instance, some doctors suggest that one or two glasses of wine per day is good for health. Fine, but not for the large number of Asians who have no immunity to alcohol.

A diet of ryvita, lots of veg and oily fish might be great for that Doctor Turd woman, or someone who leads a sedentary lifestyle, but not for a weightlifter who needs to build muscle mass; he’ll eat lots of meat. The marathon runner might eat more grain as he needs lots of carbohydrates. A polar explorer will eat lots of fat as it’s really the only way he can carry enough food to fuel his body.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Actually yes there is a flaw in thinking our ancestors diet was necessarily "good." If that diet caused disease after the age of childbirth say in your 30s, 40s , 50s, the species would still continue even though the diet was crap.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Is there one universal ‘healthy diet’?

Isn’t a healthy diet dependent on circumstance, activity and to some extent genetics?

For instance, some doctors suggest that one or two glasses of wine per day is good for health. Fine, but not for the large number of Asians who have no immunity to alcohol.

A diet of ryvita, lots of veg and oily fish might be great for that Doctor Turd woman, or someone who leads a sedentary lifestyle, but not for a weightlifter who needs to build muscle mass; he’ll eat lots of meat. The marathon runner might eat more grain as he needs lots of carbohydrates. A polar explorer will eat lots of fat as it’s really the only way he can carry enough food to fuel his body.

I was thinking of the broad mass of the population rather than the exceptions. I dont know many marathon runners, weightlifters or Polar explorers, but I do know loads of people who seem to live on chips, maccie D's, pizzas , curries and ten pints of lager. <cough>

I know little of the Dr Turd woman of whom you speak

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I was thinking of the broad mass of the population rather than the exceptions. I dont know many marathon runners, weightlifters or Polar explorers, but I do know loads of people who seem to live on chips, maccie D's, pizzas , curries and ten pints of lager. <cough>

I know little of the Dr Turd woman of whom you speak

Gilliam Mackeith, who was mentioned earlier; she claims she can analyse people’s health by sniffing their turds.

OK, I’ve named extremes to illustrate my point, but they could apply quite well to lots of people. I guess the fast food diet could be universally unhealthy, but if people exercise a lot or go out in the cold, they might have different dietary requirements.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Gilliam Mackeith, who was mentioned earlier; she claims she can analyse people’s health by sniffing their turds.

OK, I’ve named extremes to illustrate my point, but they could apply quite well to lots of people. I guess the fast food diet could be universally unhealthy, but if people exercise a lot or go out in the cold, they might have different dietary requirements.
                      If she thinks turds are so wonderful she should show us hers.

Actually on second thoughts maybe not...

Comment

Working...
                      X