• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New theory of gravity causing a stir

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I do value scientific research, but I don't like the idea of scientists going the route of creating black holes, mini-suns and now superfreezing tulip while they are still residing in this galaxy - this sort of research may yield instant unrecoverable consequences to the planet, the risks might be small but consequences are too harsh.

It's just like New Lie really, forever experimenting with the British economy without understanding the consequences, and fouling it up !!

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
      and yet you persist in crossing roads, where statistically you are far more likely to die.
      I know what you're saying but it's statistically acceptable for a few thousand people to be killed crossing roads whereas instant destruction of our planet and all known life is a slightly different argument don't you think?

Man is destined to feck it all up eventually whether it’s a physics experiment or a biological accident or whatever, all these very small risks do add up to a hill of beans contrary to popular belief.

I’m usually a great proponent of the ‘feck it lets see what happens’ attitude but I’m a little more cautious when the stakes are so high.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

For all we know, 'man' may have tried this before and we rose up from the ashes, very slowly over the last several billions of years. Bacteria and other ickle lifeforms will most likely survive.

Even if the planet was blown to pieces, it would just reconstitute itself just like how all planets are formed in the first place.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Why those bozos have to experiment with stuff like that - making mini-sun on Earth, colliding particles to make mini-black hole, ffs - are they competing with each other who blows up this planet first?
          I'm afraid it's too late for that - the consequences of global warming will lead to the inevitable "big-freeze" and so the collapse of the gravitational force, and hence the dissapation of all matter. It's simply a matter of time.
          Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            and hence the dissapation of all matter.
            Would that materially affect the house prices?

BrilloPad.

Comment

Would that materially affect the house prices?

BrilloPad.
              I would ban everything and send them all to jail.

AtW
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                I'm afraid it's too late for that - the consequences of global warming will lead to the inevitable "big-freeze" and so the collapse of the gravitational force, and hence the dissapation of all matter. It's simply a matter of time.
                It's all there in Revelations. We predicted it in the 1st Century. Repent for the day of judgement is at hand!

When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                  Repent for the day of judgement is at hand!
                  Some chap at the railway station told me that this morning. He smelt of alcohol.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Some chap at the railway station told me that this morning. He smelt of alcohol.
                    I thought I recognised the hat! But if it was me it wouldn't have been alcohol. That's for special occasions. For everyday use I find anti-freeze to be good enough.
                    When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Working...
                    X