• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mind if i vent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, do you know which Microsoft office this chap is based at?
    Could be that great big flip off campus in Reading. I went there once for a training day and walked into the wrong building straight past the dolly birds on reception right down into the bowels of M$ completely unchallenged until somoene told me.

And I forgot my suicide bomb belt that day!
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

hehe, thanks for all the replies, made good reading over my breakfast

don't get me wrong I in no way felt inadequate, and i'm sure i do earn more money than he does

as it happens, I do not grudge him his success either, he was easily one of the smartest guys in our uni class, and i do know he has worked incredibly hard to get where he has

I was actually laughing to myself every time he dropped something into the conversation that was supposed to make himself sound so good (ie. hinting at paying 40% tax to indicate he is the higher wage bracket, telling us about a marketing guy taking him on the lash and paying £180 for a bottle of wine, i mean we've all done that right)

one of the other lads cut him off a couple of times deliberately, but i was probably the most sober so don't think anyone else really noticed

i do know exactly where and within what group he works but I won't say just in case, it is a very specific role

the funniest part was the product he was in charge of is currently bombing incredibly badly in sales , and he still got promoted! go figure!

Comment

Agree with Pondlife's post.
        I don't talk about what money I earn to anyone but Mrs Cat.
        All my good friends (old and newer) are either too polite to seriously mention money (apart from the odd comment, e.g. "you're a contractor, your round") or they don't give a t0ss.
        If I ever do run into people I knew at school who pry about my finances, I either skirt around the subject and tell them I do ok, thanks for asking, or I tell them flatly that it's none of their business, depending on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          the funniest part was the product he was in charge of is currently bombing incredibly badly in sales , and he still got promoted! go figure!

Sounds like the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
            Agree with Pondlife's post.
            I don't talk about what money I earn to anyone but Mrs Cat.
            All my good friends (old and newer) are either too polite to seriously mention money (apart from the odd comment, e.g. "you're a contractor, your round") or they don't give a t0ss.
            If I ever do run into people I knew at school who pry about my finances, I either skirt around the subject and tell them I do ok, thanks for asking, or I tell them flatly that it's none of their business, depending on the situation.
            totally agree, any talk of money is incredibly crass

Comment

If being a director is what it takes to break the higher rate tax band at MS, I wonder what the developers are being paid.

And I agree totally, I wouldn't dream of talking about money or how much I earn. Some people don't half try hard to find out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                Could be that great big flip off campus in Reading. I went there once for a training day and walked into the wrong building straight past the dolly birds on reception right down into the bowels of M$ completely unchallenged until somoene told me.

And I forgot my suicide bomb belt that day!
                Aha, that's why I asked. I worked there recently, and I know someone who is due for a good promotion soon because his project is coming to an end and he seemed to do pretty well. Big rugby fan.

BTW There was quite a bit of totty talent there.

Comment

as it happens he's not in Reading

Comment

Working...
                  X