• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    So, it turns out that hard working long hours culture of the City is a myth - workers regularly bugger off home at 17:15/17:30, even during recession when one would imagine they'd have some long term thinking to do whatever it takes to keep cushy jobs they have
    The corollary to this is when things go wrong you are expected to do whatever it takes to get it fixed at no extra cost. No going home at 17:15 then. That's what the big bucks are for. The long hours culture you refer to is generally spouted by people who had to stay late a couple of times to fix things they probably broke in the first place, couldn't stand the heat and got out citing "long hours" as their excuse. Probably.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      The long hours culture you refer to is generally spouted by people who had to stay late a couple of times to fix things they probably broke in the first place
      Yes, that's how myths are born

I only worked outside London, and it was not for crazy City money obviously - expectation everywhere was if something critical happens you get to fix it without any big bonus in the end, overtime if lucky - generally you get to keep your job and such fixing it part of it.

In any startup people work very hard no-BS long hours.

Comment

You didn't answer my question atw:

Why will people like me look like tulipheads?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Can't answer a simple question, eh?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I only worked outside London, and it was not for crazy City money obviously
            Yes, obviously. After all, who would consider paying a decent rate to a jellyhead like you when any task you proved capable of performing could be mastered by the average mollusc in half the time?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Can't answer a simple question, eh?
              It's not a simple question because it has got many questionable answers, it's not something factual like when you usually bugger off home (which for you is around 17:15-17:30).

One of the reasons why you are a tuliphead is your inability to see this obvious difference between questions.

Comment

It's not a simple question because it has got many questionable answers, it's not something factual like when you usually bugger off home (which for you is around 17:15-17:30).
                Pathetic.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Yes, obviously. After all, who would consider paying a decent rate to a jellyhead like you when any task you proved capable of performing could be mastered by the average mollusc in half the time?
                  I had a view that perceived increase in rate by working in London will be more than offset by extra costs, so I've chosen the better option that was available to me at the time. You see I am not motivated solely by money, that might be hard for you to understand but try to make an effort, ok?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Pathetic.
                    Why is that?

Comment

Why is that?
                      Not very self-aware are you? I leave the answer to your reflection.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X