• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British/US stimulus to the economy is being over-done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My suspicion is that the currency turmoil, at least, will be temporary. Though whether it is temporary, and how temporary it will be depends on finding a politician with the balls to put economic demands ahead of his/her ego. So perhaps not very likely!

Clearly, with our level of indebtedness interest rates will stabilise at a much higher level after about 18 months. I reckon somewhere between 6% and 8%. Assuming the economy is rebuilding by then (big assumption), the pound will be appealing to currency traders, so the value will go up.

However, unless the pointy-heads in charge admit that our national debt is 103% of GDP instead of 45% (they discount public sector pensions and PFI demands....a bit like claiming your personal debt doesn't include your mortgage and car loan) - and actually do something about it, things will get worse.

The sad thing is that labour governments always run out of money and have never understood economics, and tory governments always end up imploding.

I'm voting for snoopy...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Imbecile? Sounds totally French to me, not Teutonic.
      Probably, but I always picture an imaginary German general saying it to one of his minions in the second world war.

Comment

Working...
      X