• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mba

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Having a PhD hasn't stopped you giving stupid answers to perfectly straightforward questions then? If you have nothing to contribute, why bother answering?

Or is it just a boast?
    I thought that that was exactly the skill you acquire with any PhD. Never give a meaningful answer to any question, no matter how simple the question is.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      Other people have other reasons for doing an MBA, but that was mine.
      Only thing I would say is cost-benefit analysis. Unless you do it as you did part-time when working or you are sure that get a very high paid job afterwards (meaning the company has paid it for you) or else you'll never cover your investment, unless you are less than 30 and you got many more chances of going up the career ladder.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        Only thing I would say is cost-benefit analysis. Unless you do it as you did part-time when working or you are sure that get a very high paid job afterwards (meaning the company has paid it for you) or else you'll never cover your investment, unless you are less than 30 and you got many more chances of going up the career ladder.
        Very true - but there are also intangible benefits to doing these things too, which you may not pick up on until you've completed it. Hence me sticking my oar in
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
          I plan to do part time, am 31, on fair crap rate and if I get £50 a day more due to this, it pays itself!!

Plus my academic record is tulip!
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
            I would like to do one but the cost and time has put me off.

However, Working with a chap who is going to be the administrator of a compliance system to control documents, Corrective action planning, Change Control, Incident and Near Miss reporting for Health and Safety amongst other things. This guy has been a Cobol developer for a s/w house for 14ys working on SOP s/w and took 2 yrs out to do a Business MBA in the mid 90's.

He was made redundant before Xmas and this was the first job he went for.

However he has never heard of:
            • Document Management Systems or the process for authorising documents in a formal environment.
            • Change control procedures
            • Prince or any other project management methodologies
            • Itil
            • Six Sigma or Lean
            • Corrective Action and Preventative Action Planning
            • Did not know why I was identifying documents as Polices, Procedures, forms etc (surely they are all the same he questioned?)
            • Did not know what ISO9001 was for

Ok, you may not need to know all this stuff but I thought it would be covered a Business MBA?

All I can say if he passed – then I should be able to do so to.

I must say, I agree with you there !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              I must say, I agree with you there !!
              was prince, six sigma, itil, iso9001 and other terminology you mentioned around in the mid 90s?
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

anyone got one?
                Yes

is it worth having?
                Hmmmm.... a little. It will get you interviews you might not otherwise be offered. But I personally think you could get enough general knowledge about business on a (say) 4-week compressed course. That would be enough to get you through those tricky conversations with "the business."

Just my 2p.

Comment

Working...
                X