• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big moon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    It's time we get back to what's really important; finding out about the nature of life and our universe.
    I know that already. The answer is 42.
    Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I thought the poles are always at either end of the axis of rotation, and the equator is so called because it is the ring of points equidistant from the poles.
      They are the geographic poles. The magnetic poles move around.
      There is also a grid pole (Grid north on earth); that's the pole to which the lines of a map projection point.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have a similar tale Alf, my dad bought me two books when I was eight. Off my own bat I disappeared into the school library for an hour every day for a week or a month, I can't remember, and did a project on the solar system, including drawing of all the planets and the moon. It wasn't part of any syllabus at the time, but to their credit the teachers let me carry on and gave me lots of brownie points at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          They are the geographic poles. The magnetic poles move around.
          There is also a grid pole (Grid north on earth); that's the pole to which the lines of a map projection point.
          True, but we're talking geographic poles, in the context of Uranus being on its side.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            I was teaching him that the reason for being afraid of the dark, that the bogeyman is creeping up on you, that you have to fear what you cant see, is baseless. If you sit still and keep your gob shut you are perfectly safe.
            In fact safer, because we could hear those guys moving around from miles away
            I can't help thinking that, if my dad had done that to me, whenever l walked along in the dark in future I'd believe there could be people lurking in the bushes watching me...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I have a similar tale Alf, my dad bought me two books when I was eight. Off my own bat I disappeared into the school library for an hour every day for a week or a month, I can't remember, and did a project on the solar system, including drawing of all the planets and the moon. It wasn't part of any syllabus at the time, but to their credit the teachers let me carry on and gave me lots of brownie points at the end.

Thats funny - when I was again about seven I smuggled in a wee astronomy book - The Observers Guide to the Stars'' as I recall to school - anyway I was caught reading this and was sent to the headmasters office to explain myself.

Fearing the worse - the Headmaster looked at my wee book - then he said 'tell me what you know about the Solar System.'

I sat back and delivered a huge amount of astromical data - named every one of the planets , how long its takes each planet to revolve around the Sun, how many moons etc - at then end the Headmaster asked me to visit three classes and give a lecture on Astronomy.

Which I did , with chalk and balckboard and gave about 30 mins of a lecture to three classes - boy did I enjoy that.

Looking back it was a great thing he did - the teacher who sent me to his study I think thought I should have been punished somehow - but the Headmaster had far more wisdom.

Well as I was awaiting my fate I noticed a wee motto outside his study

To Educate - is not to fill a cup - but to light a Candle.

I never forgot that.

Finally - why isnt Astronomy taught at schools ?
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 December 2008, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

It was in my school, but it wasn't on the curriculum.
                Our maths teacher was tremendously interested and the boys would ask him questions to get him off maths and onto astronomy.

I used to look forward to his lessons

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think the plan is to teach such things after the 16 yr olds can count to ten and read a line from a Janet and John book.

Comment

Firstly, because it's difficult, and secondly because modern education is set up to serve the purely economic interests of the 'job market' instead of building on the natural curiosity of kids. All through school kids are pressed to pass exams and get to the right college to study international business marketing or some other inane 'degree' otherwise they're seen as failures.

I was the kid that sat in physics lessons asking 'how do satellites stay in orbit' only to be told that it isn't in the syllabus so I shouldn't bother with it. Bloody silly bus in my opinion.

Instead of preparing Homo Sapiens for a life of exploring and learning, kids are being prepared for a more depressing life of servitude as Homo Economicus.

I had a brilliant maths and sciences teacher until I was about 13; after that I was so bored by the bleeding 'syllabus' and completely uninspired teaching that I almost ended up doing a meaningless management degree too. Only at university did I return to geography and enjoy some of it, and as an adult I rediscovered the love of science that I had lost and started studying geology. I'm aiming for my MSc within the next couple of years and then to go on to PhD and work in volcanology research.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 12 December 2008, 14:54.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Thats funny - when I was again about seven I smuggled in a wee astronomy book - The Observers Guide to the Stars as I recall to school - anyway I was caught reading this and was sent to the headmasters office to explain myself.

Fearing the worse - the Headmaster looked at my wee book - then he said 'tell me what you know about the Solar System.'

I sat back and delivered a huge amount of astromical data - named every one of the planets , how long its takes each planet to revolve around the Sun, how many moons etc - at then end the Headmaster asked me to visit three classes and give a lecture on Astronomy.

Which I did , with chalk and balckboard and gave about 30 mins of a lecture to three classes - boy did I enjoy that.

Lookgin back it was a great thing he did - the teacher who sent me to his study I think thought I should have been punished somehow - but the Headmaster had far more wisdom.

Well I was awaiting my fate I noticed a wee motto outside his study

To Educate - is not to fill a cup - but to light a Candle.

I never forgot that.

A good headmaster - do they veer off the OFSTED line like that any more?

Some schools teach the basics as part of science/physics. My kids are still teenagers and they did it.

But if you mean a whole GCSE or A-level subject on it, I think the Department of Education are trying to phase out things that aren't job oriented. The classics have taken a battering, and I read recently that geography and history are to be 'downgraded'.

Having said that, I think A-level Astronomy is still at option at college.

Comment

Working...
                      X