• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meta-study shows religious people are less intelligent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What caused god? What was there before?
    See above. The question has no meaning. Rather like determining whether this statement:

"This statement is not true".

is true or not. It's just a flaw of language that we can construct such statements. At first glance it seems reasonable, but it turns out to be without meaning.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post

Never forget that no matter how fundamentalist the atheist, atheism is nothing more than faith. Just like faith in God.
      No it's not. You have created "God" for which you have no evidence, hence you need faith. The default position is nothing and requires no faith.
      Would you say non-belief in elves requires faith?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        No it's not. You have created "God" for which you have no evidence, hence you need faith. The default position is nothing and requires no faith.
        Someone I knew used to say "Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence"
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Does this result imply women are more religious than men?

Comment

Never forget that no matter how fundamentalist the atheist, atheism is nothing more than faith. Just like faith in God.
            Oh no, atheism is actually a conscious lack of faith in anything. It’s more to do with methodically thinking things through and not taking anything as a ‘given’. Ergo, a smart atheist can’t completely discount the possibility that a god exists.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oh no, atheism is actually a conscious lack of faith in anything. It’s more to do with methodically thinking things through and not taking anything as a ‘given’. Ergo, a smart atheist can’t completely discount the possibility that a god exists.
              Likes to hedge his bets
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

From the Atheists United...

The default position is nothing and requires no faith.
                and...

Ergo, a smart atheist can’t completely discount the possibility that a god exists.
                Hmm. Which of you is more wrong than the other?

Does one of you have more faith than the other?
                When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  Likes to hedge his bets
                  No, that’s very different. I’m pointing out that absolute belief and absolute denial are intellectually and philosophically untenable positions. Anyone looking to explain any phenomenon, whether it’s the emergence of the universe or the flatulence causing nature of baked beans must allow for the possibility of a full range of explanations. So I’d say it’s possible that a god exists. It’s possible that lots of them exist. It’s even possible that I’m god and I just don’t know it yet. I just think that those possibilities are very, very remote compared to the possibility that there is no god.

Comment

Religious people (who've thought through their faith) would say they have plenty of evidence. It's a matter of how you interpret the evidence.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

From the Atheists United...

and...

Hmm. Which of you is more wrong than the other?

Does one of you have more faith than the other?
                      I’d say that on a scale of 1 for an absolute believer and 100 for an absolute atheist, I’m about 99.9.

I don’t believe, and you’ll have one hell of a job persuading me, but I’d be a fool if I thought that I could ever be 100% certain about the nature of the universe.

Comment

Working...
                      X