• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meta-study shows religious people are less intelligent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The penguins beat the stuff into be.
    Snap!!
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Religion is an outdated, man-made concept to keep the masses in line.

But that's just my opinion.
      Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Well you would say that 'cause you're wrong

Explain the Big Bang.
        silencesilencesilenceBANG!
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Once you've found a correlation, you then need to find a causitive factor, or at least a causal link.

Perhaps religious people are less likely to go to college, because they've decided to persue more vocational careers, not requiring a degree.

Or maybe religious people are discriminated against, and get a poorer education than communist party members.

Or perhaps the educational system is hostile to religious belief.

Or maybe it's just coincidence.

Most of the studies quoted seem to be US based. So, rather than religious people are thicker than non-religious, it would be more accurate to say "People bought up in a the US style of Christianity are less likely to attend college/be physicists/be millionaires that those who are not".

tbh - having seen what passes for majority christian though in the US, I'm not the least bit surprised that there is a correlation.

Why does this correlation exist? The first answer that comes to mind is that religious beliefs tend to be more illogical or incoherent than secular beliefs, and intelligent people tend to recognize that more quickly. But this explanation will surely be rejected by religious people, who will seek other explanations and rationalizations.

A possible counter-argument is that intelligent people tend to be more successful than others. The lure of worldly success and materialism draws many of these intellectually gifted individuals away from God. After all, who needs God when you (apparently) are making it on your own?

However, this argument does not withstand closer scrutiny. Most of the studies outlined above describe the religious attitudes of students, who have yet to enter the working world, much less succeed in it. Some might then argue that the most intelligent students are nonetheless succeeding in school. But "success" in school (for those who may have forgotten!) is more measured in terms of popularity, sports, physical attractiveness, personality, clothes, etc. Grades are but one of many measures of success in a young person's life -- one that is increasingly becoming less important, as many social critics point out.

The simplest and most parsimonious explanation is that religion is a set of logical and factual claims, and those with the most logic and facts at their disposal are rejecting it largely on those grounds.
            Last edited by NotAllThere; 11 December 2008, 15:27.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              Well you would say that 'cause you're wrong

Explain the Big Bang.
              Latest from New Scientist is that it was a big boing.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What casued it and what was there before?

I find a lot of scientific theory is just as hard to comprehend as a god, the human mind just isn’t capable.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

All I would suggest is that religious people try atheism for a little while; try thinking critically and leaving all the options open; see if you still believe after a few months of critical thinking.
                  Okay, let's explore this a little. Suppose I did do that. What actual, real difference would it make to my life? Beyond a lie in on Sunday.

Would it make my life better in any way at all? Would there be a definite improvement for me personally? If so, what would they be exactly?

If there isn't any improvement to be had, then what is the point of your suggestion, because all it is really saying is "Hey, try this because it will keep your life the same and might actually make it worse".

Sell your idea to me!
                  When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    What casued it and what was there before?

I find a lot of scientific theory is just as hard to comprehend as a god, the human mind just isn’t capable.
                    That's what a physicist would call a moronic question, which is always a good ploy when you don't have an answer
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Latest from New Scientist is that it was a big boing.
                      Is that something to with can-a-peas? Marjaramama?
                      Which is incidentally what most of these so-called prophets were all about. Totally wasted.
                      Bored.

Comment

Working...
                      X