• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business speak...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Im going to learn using audio from http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/

Highly recommended
    Look an amazon - can get the same for much less money

In fact half price
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michel-Thoma...8996739&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Platypus; 11 December 2008, 11:59.

Comment

I've never been very impressed by the tapes - I listened to a few once and they seemed a bit "emperors new clothes" he gets you saying longish sentences but theres no grammar rules taught.. Its all very well being able to say "Theres a frog in my bidet" or whatever, but you need to be able to construct the sentence to be " theres is/was/will be/might be a frog in my/your/his/hers/your plural/ours/their bidet" and you cant do that without knowing how to construct all the verb forms and the irregulars which you need to memorise..
      The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

The Rosetta Stone stuff looks very good but very expensive.

Anyone tried these?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          blimey, my 2000th non-LR post.
          Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Always wondered about the Michel Thomas courses. I dismissed it as hype but maybe I'm wrong. Is it completely or mostly audio based? I'm looking for a course I can do whilst driving mainly.

Comment

completely audio based but the do do a book too if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
                Always wondered about the Michel Thomas courses. I dismissed it as hype but maybe I'm wrong. Is it completely or mostly audio based? I'm looking for a course I can do whilst driving mainly.
                They're good for tourist level (French) but I reached a plateau quite quickly. I didn't try the vocabulary builder though. I want to retire to France but my language isn't going to improve until as others have suggested I a) learn all the irregular verbs and tenses and b) go and live there.

They are tapes (or MP3s) btw.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Learning a language takes years. It is not like learning some technical stuff for your job. There is no way that you can learn to any reasonable standard without being there for a number of years and taking many lessons. As for learning mandarin, it's virtually impossible unless you grew up with the language.

Comment

Learning a language takes years. It is not like learning some technical stuff for your job. There is no way that you can learn to any reasonable standard without being there for a number of years and taking many lessons. As for learning mandarin, it's virtually impossible unless you grew up with the language.
                    BS. Japanese is just as hard and i know someone who has learnt it to a good conversational level after just a few years.

Comment

Working...
                    X