• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench Locations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circumstances

Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Hols and long breaks needs to be pre-planned. Unplanned bench time needs to be managed and focused on finding work.

Roles can come up at anytime at a moments notice. You need to be ready to move instantly. Unless all interviews are by telephone and you can instantly get back for a next day start you are seriously disadvantaged. Plus once you're over there you won't be bothered about finding work - until you run out of money. Seen it all before.
    Sounds good in theory. However, for 'ahem' tax reasons I would prefer to remain outside the UK until after April 2010. This means I don't have a base to operate from. My current place (Belgium) is far too expensive to maintain without income. Hence the search for a suitable base in Europe with PC and mobile to search for work.

Tenerife itself isn't that ideal because of the longer flight. Hence, Spain/Benidorm/one of the Costas is looking a better bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
      Sounds good in theory. However, for 'ahem' tax reasons I would prefer to remain outside the UK until after April 2010. This means I don't have a base to operate from. My current place (Belgium) is far too expensive to maintain without income. Hence the search for a suitable base in Europe with PC and mobile to search for work.

Tenerife itself isn't that ideal because of the longer flight. Hence, Spain/Benidorm/one of the Costas is looking a better bet.
      I was in Lisbon on holiday and the houses, even in Cascais, were already dirt cheap in July; who knows how low they've gone now, especially if you choose a cheaper area.

Portugal seems quite a happy little country.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
        Given I've been benched and there isn't any roles coming up I was wondering if anyone had any hints on where to spend 2-3 months on the bench.

I have an option of a place in Tenerife for about 400 GBP pm but was wondering if there were any recommendations for other places about the same price range.

Any ideas for the ideal bench location ?
        Morocco

HTH

tim

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
          That'll be around the year 2050 then.
          No - that's the oil, not the money

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Sometime around 2050 when the oil runs out, then?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X