• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit crunch stories - got any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The factory my step father works at produces various types of bricks for the building industry. During the housing boom the factory would produce bricks day and night, but now they are down to 5 days per month and a single shift at that. His income is now less than a third of what it was.

Last week I got a taxi home (London private taxi in Notting Hill) so I picked the drivers brains. He claimed half the staff at his taxi company had been let go and the other half told that if they could find work elsewhere then they should take it. He expected to lose his job next year and as it is he said he was barely getting by.

These two cases show me something that isn't shown in government figures - Many people are simply working part time now waiting for the axe to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Speaking of depreciation, 06 M5 500bhp 10k miles > £61k new
      sub 30k
      Do they have any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        That's the spirit. Maybe you can arrange for them to sell a kidney too? I mean, they'd still have three between them.
        I was thinking of their pride and standard of living above all else, it can’t be nice going into retirement as a bankrupt failure, Citizens advice said the same as me.

The inheritance remark was tongue in cheek BTW.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Both my Sister-in-law and her husband have been made redundant - last day for them is the 19th Jan. At least their Mortgage has been paid off ( her father-in-law did this a couple of years back), however here are a few other couples who work in the same office who are also loosing both their jobs who are not that luckly. Strange as they work for the DSS
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            I received a call from an agent asking if I was available for a contract. I told them to call me in six months' time when I should be available.

Same thing happened yesterday.

Credit Crunch looking OK here (though I'm certainly not counting chickens... )
            When an agent calls, its not because they're interested.
            It's because:

A) They want to know when your position is vacant so they can fill it.
            B) Your managers details and any other leads that means the said agent wont be living in a cardboard box this christmas.

If there are any agents left who are "just updating details" by January, I'll eat my red hat.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I've been benched twice since June.

Got quite a good gig now though and plan B is picking up

All the SMEs are turning to the web for better ROI as yellow pages, mailshots etc are proving a bit costly BOOMED!
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Everyone was looking forward to the work's christmas lunch until someone walked past the place we booked at the weekend and noticed it had closed down

Comment

I had a snack of honeycomb covered in chocolate, paid for using my mastercard. does that count?
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good friend of mine who owns a building firm tells me he has never been busier?! Me thinking he taking the Piss laughed - sod was telling the truth! He as around 4 Loft Conversions and 1 sizeable extention to do and book till August - with him turning work down. Asking him again if he was pulling my plonka - he said Nope - word of mouth and people not moving and extending seems to be the flavour of the month [I tried to tell it MONTH it maybe!]

Neighbour - Electrician - good guy - is turning away work!

Only thing I can see from the above is that the cheap and crap quality-work Poles have gone in the droves?

Not sure - but that was some good news albeit for two people in trades that are getting hit hard.

Comment

My landlord - who does building work, plastering, windows etc. etc. - says that he's never been busier. It looks like a lot of people who were buying and selling their way up the property ladder have now realised that they've got to stay put and are doing up their homes instead...

The only way it has affected my family is my brother and his girlfriend were laid off, but in the case of my brother he knew that would happen about a year ago so it wasn't a surprise or linked to the economy. She found new work and he's now working as a finance temp.

Comment

Working...
                      X