• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie role offered, how much should I ask for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    High Risk
    Agree with ^^

If you don't have a cushion for the bad times - don't be going sitting on a spike

30-33k would sound sensible taking into account your age, experience and skills

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      High Risk
      Originally posted by Liability View Post
      Agree with ^^

If you don't have a cushion for the bad times - don't be going sitting on a spike

30-33k would sound sensible taking into account your age, experience and skills
      Agreed with both, makes sense.
      Thanks Platypus and Liability

Comment

Just be aware that as a permie you will be tied into a set notice period and as such you may not be able to take advantage of contracts as they come up.

Also, you may have to have to start jumping through all those permie hoops such as performance reviews and such just to keep your job.

On the upside though you can take advantage on any training and a pension (although it will be worth f*** all when you need it.

Good luck.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          Just be aware that as a permie you will be tied into a set notice period and as such you may not be able to take advantage of contracts as they come up.

Also, you may have to have to start jumping through all those permie hoops such as performance reviews and such just to keep your job.

On the upside though you can take advantage on any training and a pension (although it will be worth f*** all when you need it.

Good luck.
          Good points, Cheers.
          This contract waited for my 1 month notice at last place, so hoping for the best.

Comment

£27/hr would only work out at just over £50K/year. So trying to get more than £30K full-time sounds disproportionate to me.
            Sounds like £27K is about the minimum that would make sense so you could ask for £32-33K as being 20% above this. Or you could say £35K and be open to negotiate quickly if they appear shocked.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Personally speaking if I were in your position I would take the work and not rock the boat unless you have 'other options'. Is it really worth the risk of losing the chance given the current state of affairs if it's the only option available to you right now? Ok you can earn a bit more but would it mean having to travel further, stay away, etc?

Take the job, collect the money, then make up for it when times are good. If anything it's further stuff on your CV for the near future.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Never, ever, ever start a negotiation with what you think you'll end up with.

Start at £35k. Pick a number you'll be happy with and be prepared to be knocked down...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Never, ever, ever start a negotiation with what you think you'll end up with.

Start at £35k. Pick a number you'll be happy with and be prepared to be knocked down...
                  Absolutely - and principled negotiation, never positional bargaining, is the way forward.

BTW - clientco hire ppl fitting your description (Junior LAMP dev) for about £40-45k permie (London rates so deduct 'weighting' of around 3.5k).

Comment

I'd estimate the London adjustment might be closer to 20% or 25%. For someone only working a couple of years as a standard developer, £30-35K sounds pretty reasnable outside the south-east.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you're going perm don't just be motivated by money, try to get some assurances from their end as to where the job will lead IMO.

You don't want to take 35k and become a code monkey doing the same thing every day for the next 3 years. I've seen it happen to people and now they'll struggle to get a job elsewhere. Better to get assurance that you will be trained in a team lead role, etc... try to get timescales on when things will happen too, rather than just a fluffy 'yeah we'll do that next year'...

as for money..

is it a .NET job or a LAMP job? (or both)

the going rate differs for each. .NET people generally get paid more.

Comment

Working...
                      X