• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government allows mortgage payments to be deferred for 2 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Mmm, maybe time to buy that des-res in ToryCyberShire? We can't lose!!!
    Be quick, prices are still rising round there!
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Two years? Now, remind me when the next General Election has to be called by?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        This sounds massively unfair to rent payers (unless their rent is paid when they're unemployed? not sure).
        In this case you may be able to get 'housing benefit'. Does not always cover the entire cost of the rent if you find yourself unemployed, or your income is such that you can claim other benefits.
        Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

They never do care much about renters. After all, they haven't played their part in the great smoke-and-mirrors boom game so why should they get any sympathy? Unless they've paid their rent on credit of course.

Just like how negative equity (where what you've paid out is greater than the value of your asset by a factor of about 10%) is a disaster; but renting (where what you pay out is greater than the value of your non-existent asset by a factor of infinity) is tickety-boo.

It's the same the whole world over.
          It's the poor that gets the pain.
          It's the rich that gets the gravy.
          Isn't it a blooming shame?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Erm, won't this just make the debt mountain even bigger?
            Exactly my first thought. This will just prolong the misery. Japan style 15 year depression here we come.

Comment

I must say I have really enjoyed the last 10 years and I can't wait to see what happens in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Two years? Now, remind me when the next General Election has to be called by?
                Exactly, this ruse might con the very "intelligent" British public into keeping New Lie in for another term.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  I liked this para:
                  Currently, those on benefits have their mortgage interest payments covered for two years if their mortgages is below £200,000.

That's not the whole story - if you are on jobseekers or income support and subject to other means tests, you may get some payments towards the interest portion only, but only after 36 weeks on the benefits and not if you have significant savings.

Comment

Apparently last night several banks said they knew nothing about these plans, and hadn't agreed anything, and are now hopping mad

On the plus side, in fairness, someone on another forum made the point that if the Government has a duty one way or another to rehouse people after repossessions, then it may be cheaper for the taxpayer to guarantee these deferred mortage payments, in the hope of reducing the number of repossessions.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 December 2008, 01:51.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Holy Mackerel!

I wish I had a mortgage now so that I could default on it.

Linky
                      You wouldn't have been eligible anyway. Mark my words, it'll only be for party members.

Comment

Working...
                      X