• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Government allows mortgage payments to be deferred for 2 years"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    They're trying to keep it below the 75K that the Tories clocked up in '92
    So 66k in 2009, 2010, 2011, etcetc.

The debt bubble needs to be deflated a little.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    75,000 repos due in 2009 - government policy will affect around 9000 of those. 66,000 is still alot.
    They're trying to keep it below the 75K that the Tories clocked up in '92

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Seems like under the old rules people on benefits could have had their mortgage interest paid for them for free after x months, but now they have to go into personal debt from day 1. Isn't this a good thing? But I'm only qualified to make knee-jerk comments since I don't know what the new rules are or old rules were.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    It is not a free ride. The interest is only deferrred for 2 yrs max. It will roll up on the existing debt so it is not a free handout. It sounds like it will help people who hit hard times temporaily eg people who do normally work for a living and that will include many contractors. Also, what happens when houses get repo'd. The homeless family must be re-housed at the tax payers expense. Hardly good for the country at large. There will still be many more repos next year whatever happens.
    75,000 repos due in 2009 - government policy will affect around 9000 of those. 66,000 is still alot.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    It is not a free ride. The interest is only deferrred for 2 yrs max. It will roll up on the existing debt so it is not a free handout. It sounds like it will help people who hit hard times temporaily eg people who do normally work for a living and that will include many contractors. Also, what happens when houses get repo'd. The homeless family must be re-housed at the tax payers expense. Hardly good for the country at large. There will still be many more repos next year whatever happens.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Hardworking households
    I snorted coffee over that one. Surely, he knows that the phrase is a parody of itself?

Plus, what's the big deal? They are not having their interest paid for them, they are just having a payment holiday and increasing the outstanding debt.

It's a negative amortization mortgage, in effect (the ones that helped America get into the sub-prime mess it's in)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Exactly, this ruse might con the very "intelligent" British public into keeping New Lie in for another term.
    And what makes you think the Torys would do any different?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Holy Mackerel!

I wish I had a mortgage now so that I could default on it.

Linky
    You wouldn't have been eligible anyway. Mark my words, it'll only be for party members.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Apparently last night several banks said they knew nothing about these plans, and hadn't agreed anything, and are now hopping mad

On the plus side, in fairness, someone on another forum made the point that if the Government has a duty one way or another to rehouse people after repossessions, then it may be cheaper for the taxpayer to guarantee these deferred mortage payments, in the hope of reducing the number of repossessions.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 December 2008, 01:51.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I liked this para:
    Currently, those on benefits have their mortgage interest payments covered for two years if their mortgages is below £200,000.

That's not the whole story - if you are on jobseekers or income support and subject to other means tests, you may get some payments towards the interest portion only, but only after 36 weeks on the benefits and not if you have significant savings.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Two years? Now, remind me when the next General Election has to be called by?
    Exactly, this ruse might con the very "intelligent" British public into keeping New Lie in for another term.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I must say I have really enjoyed the last 10 years and I can't wait to see what happens in the end.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Erm, won't this just make the debt mountain even bigger?
    Exactly my first thought. This will just prolong the misery. Japan style 15 year depression here we come.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    They never do care much about renters. After all, they haven't played their part in the great smoke-and-mirrors boom game so why should they get any sympathy? Unless they've paid their rent on credit of course.

Just like how negative equity (where what you've paid out is greater than the value of your asset by a factor of about 10%) is a disaster; but renting (where what you pay out is greater than the value of your non-existent asset by a factor of infinity) is tickety-boo.

It's the same the whole world over.
    It's the poor that gets the pain.
    It's the rich that gets the gravy.
    Isn't it a blooming shame?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    This sounds massively unfair to rent payers (unless their rent is paid when they're unemployed? not sure).
    In this case you may be able to get 'housing benefit'. Does not always cover the entire cost of the rent if you find yourself unemployed, or your income is such that you can claim other benefits.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X