• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Glad to hear others are happier than me in Basel.

I am happier in Frankfurt.

It's all good.
    I always had to stand on the S-Bahn in Frankfurt; I never had to stand on the No 7 tram in Zürich. But I suppose there is more to quality of life ...

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I always had to stand on the S-Bahn in Frankfurt; I never had to stand on the No 7 tram in Zürich. But I suppose there is more to quality of life ...
      I can almost always sit on either tram or S-bahn. Bus is a different matter.

Quality of life also includes size of expat community because that influences how fast wife gets enough new friends to be content. Frankfurt is better at that.
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Maybe he means the quality of life is lower, because the shops are shut on a Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
          Maybe he means the quality of life is lower, because the shops are shut on a Sunday?
          My quality of life is not too affected by shops opening hours.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            I can almost always sit on either tram or S-bahn. Bus is a different matter.

Quality of life also includes size of expat community because that influences how fast wife gets enough new friends to be content. Frankfurt is better at that.
            Good observation, potentially very important. Not to me: partner stays in England; but to many, I am sure.

Comment

I think it all depends on your personal circumstances and lifestyle. If you are up to wild fun then Switzerland is probably the worst place in the world. If you have a family and want a quiet and safe place to bring up children, it is very good. There is a garden for children almost every 200m. You can safely walk at night or let children alone. Well, of course, comparing town to town and village to village (i.e. Zurich to London ...). When children are grown up though, it starts to become again not a good place and it will be them asking you to move or they go to study abroad themselves. :-)
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                I think it all depends on your personal circumstances and lifestyle. If you are up to wild fun then Switzerland is probably the worst place in the world. If you have a family and want a quiet and safe place to bring up children, it is very good. There is a garden for children almost every 200m. You can safely walk at night or let children alone. Well, of course, comparing town to town and village to village (i.e. Zurich to London ...). When children are grown up though, it starts to become again not a good place and it will be them asking you to move or they go to study abroad themselves. :-)
                Isn't some of that a difference between a "Big City" and a town that is not? E.g. Frankfurt is a big city, but Darmstadt is not: and there I see lone women using an empty underpass to cross the road at night. I would let my kids cycle in Darmstadt, but not in Frankfurt.

It does seem to me that the essential culture of both Switzerland and Germany is one where "You can safely walk at night or let children alone"; but the big cities don't really fit that. I could say the same of even the Netherlands: I'm not too sure of Amsterdam but I'd feel OK about say Utrecht (except in the car park on the wrong side of the railway station).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Isn't some of that a difference between a "Big City" and a town that is not? E.g. Frankfurt is a big city, but Darmstadt is not: and there I see lone women using an empty underpass to cross the road at night. I would let my kids cycle in Darmstadt, but not in Frankfurt.

It does seem to me that the essential culture of both Switzerland and Germany is one where "You can safely walk at night or let children alone"; but the big cities don't really fit that. I could say the same of even the Netherlands: I'm not too sure of Amsterdam but I'd feel OK about say Utrecht (except in the car park on the wrong side of the railway station).
                  Yes but as a matter of fact I said that you can compare big towns with big towns and villages with villages. And it's not just about safety, although you are definitely much safer in Zurich or Geneve than you are in London but also for facilities for family. You can't say that London offers the same for the children as Zurich or that Welwyn Garden City offers the same as Uster or Canobbio. Switzerland for children and families offers way more than other countries, even comparing places of similar sizes, in terms of security, facilities, quality of services, etc. And yes, Canobbio or Uster are way safer than Welwyn Garden City.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect, but am looking to move to Zurich in the near future and a good few of you seem to have a handle on life in Switzerland.

From my googling, the permit system seems to have ended in May 2007 but I can't find any up-to-date info: can EU members now settle and gain employment without a permit (from http://www.zurich-relocation.ch/cont...k_permits.html I am guessing so)?

Looking at sql/c# in one of the IB's @ c1000chf - is that reasonable for a senior tech position?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SomeoneElse View Post
                      Sorry to resurrect, but am looking to move to Zurich in the near future and a good few of you seem to have a handle on life in Switzerland.

From my googling, the permit system seems to have ended in May 2007 but I can't find any up-to-date info: can EU members now settle and gain employment without a permit (from http://www.zurich-relocation.ch/cont...k_permits.html I am guessing so)?

Looking at sql/c# in one of the IB's @ c1000chf - is that reasonable for a senior tech position?

Thanks
                      The permit system is still well alive. What is different is that there is no quota system anymore for EU nationals so they can only refuse your permit for valid security reasons and not because of your specific job (in the past they could have decided no more than 1000 sql/c# programmers in IB for example). I would say 1000 chf is a good rate at the moment. It used to be more in the past but even that rate is now rather difficult to get (even in IBs). It now doesn't seem so bad in terms of pounds.... 650 pounds a day

Comment

Working...
                      X