• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I agree. But if all techies can do is moan about management because they lack the personal skills (which are much harder than techie ones) required to obtain power - then nothing will change.
    That's a good point. I actually think the current crisis is an opportunity for techies to show that we can manage better than the airheads in charge right now. At some stage, businesses will have to get back to doing the basics right, and they'll need technically skilled managers to do it. That's one reason why I said on another thread that an MSc or an MEng might be a better choice long term than an MBA.

I know how to help a business save money AND test software more effectively; up until now, with unlimited budgets, nobody wanted to know about that; now that budgets are being cut, organisations might be prepared to listen.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      That's a good point. I actually think the current crisis is an opportunity for techies to show that we can manage better than the airheads in charge right now. At some stage, businesses will have to get back to doing the basics right, and they'll need technically skilled managers to do it. That's one reason why I said on another thread that an MSc or an MEng might be a better choice long term than an MBA.

I know how to help a business save money AND test software more effectively; up until now, with unlimited budgets, nobody wanted to know about that; now that budgets are being cut, organisations might be prepared to listen.

That's more like it. We need more techie managers.
      I think the best way is to have a strong techie background then do an MBA or similar as an entree to manager twat-land. Once there it's not hard to outshine the Bulltulipters - just be aware of the back-stabbing and politics and engage with it.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Once there it's not hard to outshine the Bulltulipters - just be aware of the back-stabbing and politics and engage with it.
        That's what turned me off last time I did a test management contract; political manoeuvring by other managers, especially project managers who didn't like their bumbling being exposed by the tests. Still, it made me quite a bit tougher, so next time round I won't be taking tulip from other managers.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Kess
          I'm in a similar dilemma. Current client is shedding contractors but wants to hang on to a few key ones for a few more months - I've just been offered an extension until end of March. However, at the time of my last extension I made it crystal clear that would be my final extension unless rates were increased.

Given the economic climate and lack of other opportunities I'll probably swallow my pride and accept the offer, but I had been quite looking forward to telling them where to stick it and moving on...
          Thats OK as long as you have something to move on to.......
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
          X