• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going it alone

is becoming increasingly untenable, at least countries in the Euro zone can rely on their currency.

The pound dropped 2% today. Looks increasingly to me that staying with the pound is suicide.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Mr Barroso acknowledged "the majority" of British people continued to oppose joining the eurozone.
      I wonder if they'll continue to oppose it when its 80 cents to the pound and the country is awash with continental holiday makers taking advantage of the exchange rate while hard working Brits can't even afford a ticket on EasyJet?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Quite literally one of the most breathtakingly arrogant and dismissive comments I have heard a politician say for a long time.
        That phrase "the people who matter" has to be a wind up. Even an EU functionary, with their head in the clouds, isn't that dismissive about voters at least in public.

He must be just trying to stir things up for Brown, with the aim of actually making it *harder* for him to peddle the idea of us joining the Euro.

The implication is that the EU don't want the UK in the Euro for now, or ever.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
          ...and the country is awash with continental holiday makers...
          As long as they fark off home again!!
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            That phrase "the people who matter" has to be a wind up. Even an EU functionary, with their head in the clouds, isn't that dismissive about voters at least in public.

He must be just trying to stir things up for Brown, with the aim of actually making it *harder* for him to peddle the idea of us joining the Euro.

The implication is that the EU don't want the UK in the Euro for now, or ever.
            Good point.

Though I do find it hard to imagine Brown wanting to join the Euro and cede "control" of the currency (unless of course he imagines a bigger playing field).

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Quite literally one of the most breathtakingly arrogant and dismissive comments I have heard a politician say for a long time.
              I've read the interview in a couple of portuguese sites, and according to them, what he said was:

"I know that the majority of British people continue to oppose the Eurozone, but there's a period of consideration under way."

That's all! The bit about "the people that matter" is IMO, bulltulip.
              Last edited by Pinto; 1 December 2008, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto View Post
                I've read the interview in a couple of portuguese sites, and according to them, what he said was:

"I know that the majority of Britains continue to oppose the Eurozone, but there's a period of consideration under way."

That's all! The bit about "the people that matter" is IMO, bulltulip.
                So what is the source for the English-language version? Oh, it's an unattributed report posted by AtW.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  So what is the source for the English-language version? Oh, it's an unattributed report posted by AtW.
                  It came from one of my moles in the Home Office. Oh wait someone knocks on the door...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    Joining the Euro would be suicide for the UK. The only solution to our problems is to reject this failing and wasting government at the next election, and get some intelligence and financial prudence introduced.
                    And who would that be???

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It came from one of my moles in the Home Office. Oh wait someone knocks on the door...

Comment

Working...
                      X