• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched and current climate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Nearly! But I am confident Ill be in a role by then - guess it boils down to how good you are and your networking.

tulip people will always remain on the bench in tough times.
    Im not saying you wont get a role sorted, just do yourself a favour and dont count on it. In fact, you should plan on being out of contract for the next 6 months, and then if one comes along before its a bonus. But cut your cloth accordingly now to save yourself a whole lot of grief later on.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      I was speaking to a builder recently who's been around for quite a few years.

He's actually getting busier, he also made the observation that building quality goes up during down turns as the crap builders are weeded out
      Not sure about Builders! But my neighbour is a sparky and he has soo much work on that he cant understand what everyone is moaning about. Some win and will win, some will lose - in IT we will lose next year in terms of rates and offers - but it will weed the tulipe from the good people.

Comment

I'm waiting for Feb, not because I think it will be contracts-a-go-go then, but because Jan is a good month to be snuggled up in Xeno Towers.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
          Im not saying you wont get a role sorted, just do yourself a favour and dont count on it. In fact, you should plan on being out of contract for the next 6 months, and then if one comes along before its a bonus. But cut your cloth accordingly now to save yourself a whole lot of grief later on.
          Dont get me wrong - I for one do not think next year will return to normality - I just feel that certain roles that I know of about [a good 7-8] will get released after Jan. Now that doesnt mean sod all to the wider world - but if thats based on just what I know of - surely its an indication of things on a wider front? Rates and Salaries will go down for next year without a doubt.

Agree - as a contractor we all save for a rainy day - I have a fund to see me out of all of next year worse case

Comment

There will still always be jobs coming up, but it's going to be the best people that get them.

There are quite a few usless gits I have worked with over the years who I cannot wait seeing dumped, people that should not be in IT getting a good daily rate.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7752430.stm

About 850 agency workers are to lose their jobs at Jaguar Land Rover in the West Midlands and Warwickshire.

The IT and engineering staff at plants in Castle Bromwich, Solihull, Whitley, and Gaydon have been told their jobs will go by the end of the year.
              Yeap - There were also recruiting for several BA's at Solihull plant, two of which I were in the running for. I has previously got a role with JLR last month, but just before the contracts were due to be signed the job got put on hold". Stange, they were still advertising roles up to yesterday.
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                There will still always be jobs coming up, but it's going to be the best people that get them.

There are quite a few usless gits I have worked with over the years who I cannot wait seeing dumped, people that should not be in IT getting a good daily rate.
                this is my point - the pedantic english teachers remind me of the tulipe Ive had to work with where they assume they need to get paid a good rate but in all honesty are no longer good at their jobs.

Next year will be about who is better - its simple. Similar to 2001 - if you werent good you were on the Bench - if you was you wasnt! Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
                  Yeap - There were also recruiting for several BA's at Solihull plant, two of which I were in the running for. I has previously got a role with JLR last month, but just before the contracts were due to be signed the job got put on hold". Stange, they were still advertising roles up to yesterday.
                  Is "they" the agency's?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Is "they" the agency's?
                    Your apostrophe malarkey really has to stop!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                      Originally posted by swamp View Post
                      Anyone waiting for "things to improve" in Feb is in for a big shock.

The only thing that's going to "improve" is the rate at which things are going to turn to s**t.
                      Do you think so? What do you base this on? Hunch?
                      Yes, I've got a hunch the new budgets in the next financial year are going to leave people wishing they could hang on to the scraps of last year.

Many things haven't shaped-up yet. The long-term outlook will become clearer next year and I don't think it will be good news -- how can it with tax rises and debt on the way? The result will be massive unemployment and a full-blown recession.
                      Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                      X